• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea Eagle Chicks on Mull (1 Viewer)

d.steeley

England
It was with great sadness that I saw last week that the two sea eagle chicks from the Loch Frisa nest site had rolled out of the nest and died. I have been going to Mull for several years and although by then they had fledged, we could always find the chicks and parents on a hill near the Loch which seemed to act as a nursery for them. The spot was easily viewed from the road with a scope and we watched as the parents seemed to be encouraging the chicks to fly by dropping food near to them only to whisk it further away if the chicks walked to it instead of flying. I'm sure that many visitors to Mull will be disappointed that the trips to the hide will not now go ahead (I'm presuming here) and also that there will be some loss of income because of the small fee charged for such visits. I believe it is thought that the parents will not breed again this year. I'm sorry if someone else has already started a similar thread but I haven't been able to find one and I think it is something I could not let pass without making some comment. I am off to Mull again later in the summer and will miss the hours of enjoyment my wife and I have had watching the 'nursery'.

Dave

Update: just looked at the RSPB website (should have done this earlier) and the eagle watching trips will still go ahead as they feel the adult birds will stay around the area. Also there is a lot of other birds to see there.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back