• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do pelicans feed on birds too? (1 Viewer)

Last week I found a short video clip in the internet, where a pelican ate a duck. It was in a park where ducks were feed, and between them where some pelicans. Suddenly one grabed a bird and swallowed it down. I´m sure the clip is real and there is no trick.

Have somebody hered a similar story?

When I saw this I was at first really shocked and fascinated.

Last week I found a short video clip in the internet, where a pelican ate a duck. It was in a park where ducks were feed, and between them where some pelicans. Suddenly one grabed a bird and swallowed it down. I´m sure the clip is real and there is no trick.

Have somebody hered a similar story?

When I saw this I was at first really shocked and fascinated.

hi georg
thats a new one on me,never heard anything like that before:'D

Wow..the off-shoot threads are interesting..Looks as though they do eat other birds! Easy meal if they get one. Can see it's no problem for them to fit and I suppose the Pelican can cope with the stuggle just as it does with fish.

I never believed this until just now seeing that footage. I've always heard that American White Pelicans sometimes do this but I thought everyone who said it were either trying to see how gullible I was, or were stone cold nuts.

i noticed your smily. do you think its funny that a duck dies?!?!?!? i know its natures way, but how is it funny?
no i dont think its funny at all,youre implying i dont care about
the well being of that duck,i care passionatly about the well being
of all bird life,the smiley indicated that that it was just an
unbeilevable story as i ve said i ve never heard anything like
it before,so think before you jump to any more conclusions

Last edited:
HI all...Lets try and remember that this type of medium isn't the best at conveying emotions and emphasis. Misunderstanding can happen quite easily. I don't imagine anybody who DOESN'T care for birds would ever be on this site, so the fact that we are all here indicates that we all love birds and we want to share knowledge.
Henstooth

I was always under the impression it was a pigeon in this film, though I have seen it as well. Very unusual, but apparently not unheard of.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back