• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another raptor at Elkhorn Slough, California (1 Viewer)

djleahy

This guy was very far away, so I'm afraid I don't have many pixels to offer here. Kinda non-descript gray. I don't really have a guess here, but it doesn't seem to match any of the most common raptors here.

Attachments

• IMG_5176.JPG
    IMG_5176.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5173.JPG
    IMG_5173.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 130
Looks sort of like a Northern Harrier but I'm not sure.

Hi Gentoo,

That would be my guess (if you forced me to make a guess), as I see nothing in the picture that doesn't match an adult harrier. However, this guy is sitting on the top of a very tall power line tower, and I've read (and seen) that northern harriers tend to stay much closer to the ground in flight and in perching. But there are always exceptions, right?

DaveL

LOL...not many pixels to work with is right. I'd guess Swainsons Hawk with no explanation as to why. How about unidentified raptor?

It doesn't seem to have the owlish face of a Harrier, and it seems unlikely one would perch that high. It appears to have black on the shoulder, as if it were a juvenile White-tailed Kite, but the head appears to be dark. I would expect to see some dark on the belly if it were a Red-tailed Hawk, but it seems pretty clear underneath. I guess I need a few more pixels to identify it.

This guy was very far away, so I'm afraid I don't have many pixels to offer here. Kinda non-descript gray. I don't really have a guess here, but it doesn't seem to match any of the most common raptors here.

May be going out on the limb here, but ...

Plain gray overall. Looks like a bit of a black "Zorro" mask. Short, hooked bill --- I'm thinking Adult Mississippi Kite.

Last edited:
May be going out on the limb here, but ...

Plain gray overall. Looks like a bit of a black "Zorro" mask. Short, hooked bill --- I'm thinking Adult Mississippi Kite.

Honestly that occurred to me too but I didn't want to say that for fear of the reactions I'd get for suggesting such a thing.

Naturally a Mississippi kite would be a surprise for the California coast. Perhaps more likely it could be a poorly exposed White-tailed kite.

Naturally a Mississippi kite would be a surprise for the California coast. Perhaps more likely it could be a poorly exposed White-tailed kite.

Perhaps, but I do think the white breast of the White-tailed Kite would be rather obvious nonetheless. And Sibley does show spot records for the Mississippi Kite in your area.

White tailed kite looks like it would fit. Black on the shoulders says White tailed kite but would have to have a better picture to make a positive ID.

It's far too bulky for a kite - looks more like some weird phase of a Red-tailed Hawk to me.

neil g.

Its perch is best matched for a Red-Tailed Hawk. But I had a lot of trouble getting there from my picture, which is why I posted. Our red-taileds are pretty dark out here, so it's a puzzle for me. However, I don't think the picture is good enough to really support any of the more exotic suggestions.

On this walk, we saw red-tailed hawks, white-tailed kites, red-shouldered hawks, and northern harriers. Oh, and turkey vultures, and kestrels. And one weird grayish bird. I even saw a fight between two kites and a red-tailed hawk, presumably a territorial skirmish. Not a bad day for raptors.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back