• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharpie Pen Strikes Again! (2 Viewers)

timwootton

All this recent discussion about marker pen drawings had me looking back at the work I did last year and I thought it about time to revisit this technique.
With the winter seemingly setting back in again, I needed a springtime shot so I flicked through a few sketchbooks from last year and happened upon a few usual suspects.
"Divers, Hovers, Damsels and Midges", "Spring Eiders" and "Skua Family".
Sharpie marker on mountboard with watercolour slooshed on:

Attachments

• divers, hovers, damsels and midges.jpg
    divers, hovers, damsels and midges.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 360
  • spring eiders.jpg
    spring eiders.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 434
  • skua family.jpg
    skua family.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 341
if that's the standard of the work you can eff off! PHENOMENAL! Round of applause and a standing ovation. I already knew you were a talented chap, but this work not only takes the biscuit - it scoffs all the chocolate digestives! I'd like to see more of this technique.

Wooo Yeah!

There's something of the Andrew Haslen lurking in these with a good dollop of Bruce Pearson bound together with finest quality Wootton glue.

'Super! Smashing! Lovely! Marvelous!' As Jim Bowen would say!

Mike

if that's the standard of the work you can eff off! PHENOMENAL! Round of applause and a standing ovation. I already knew you were a talented chap, but this work not only takes the biscuit - it scoffs all the chocolate digestives! I'd like to see more of this technique.

Sharpies and Slooshing just seem like they belong together. At least these make it look that way!

So different from your other works but equally brilliant. They feel so free and fresh, with a definite Ennionesque quality about them.

Any for sale Tim?
Flattered you should ask, Jane - everything's for sale when you're in my financial straight :-O
I can send you high res versions, sizes etc if you'd like?

Thanks all for the support - I don't get to do this type of work anything like often enough for my liking.

Spent an hour in my studio thinking about a new work after I looked at these. But I couldn't get anything done. My mind kept coming back to these and how lively they are. Hope you get the chance to do more of them Tim. They really are striking.

Flattered you should ask, Jane - everything's for sale when you're in my financial straight :-O
I can send you high res versions, sizes etc if you'd like?

Thanks all for the support - I don't get to do this type of work anything like often enough for my liking.

Sizes and what you want for them

Outstanding as always, Tim! I've always liked the pen and wash (Sharpie and wash?) style, but not something I've seen much with birds. Hope to see more!

Never been a fan of sequels, this one rocks though...

These are phenomenal, full of life and observation. The Eiders are my favourites, what a scene. Would like very much to see more in this vein, a third installment, perhaps a return of the sharpie...;)

Some very nice slooshing of watercolour.....;)

Been a real treat here on the forum tonight I must say....

Last edited:
music from the rock stars on this forum tonight...slooshing skuas just over the top....and all have such energy and life....:t:

Agree with Apodemus.....definite Ennionesque...[and of course...quite bloody marvelous]....:t:

Love them skua's....! Great technique....

OK - ditto sentiment here!

These - particularly the first - have an Enion-esque quality, which I love, yet are all yours. FAB.

And I hadn't read Apodemus' comment when I wrote that - so it must be right!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back