• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Telephoto lens for FZ28 (1 Viewer)

hobbielancie

Hello

I am interested in adding a teleconversion lens to my camera. I know that the TCON-17 is the lens of choice, but my problem is funds as I am on a tight budget. Are there any alternatives that would work. I have a budget of £40.

Thanks|;|

Hello

I am interested in adding a teleconversion lens to my camera. I know that the TCON-17 is the lens of choice, but my problem is funds as I am on a tight budget. Are there any alternatives that would work. I have a budget of £40.

Thanks|;|

I don't use a TC on my FZ28, but I have a feeling that you get what you pay for. However, I'd gladly be proved wrong.

I have a TCON-17 and in my opinion it is worth each cent pay, unhappily I cannot say on teleconverters of other marks but i think that very cockroaches don't provide quality.

To attach a converter lens to your camera I guess you'll need a Panasonic DMW-LA3 adaptor or something similar (best part of £20). A search on ebay throws up a much cheaper alternative (search on DMW-LA3) with a 58mm filter thread rather than 55mm.

Some of that saving will be lost if you then need a 58-55mm stepping down ring to attach a TCON-17 (and don't forget an Olympus B-300 or B300 is pretty much identical to TCON-17 if you're shopping for secondhand).

As regards a cheaper alternative lens, if you're OK with 1.5x rather than 1.7x magnification, a Ricoh TC-200M might be worth considering (one for sale on Ebay now). For that you'd need need a 58-52mm stepping down ring for the above mentioned adaptor or 55-52mm for use with the genuine Panasonic one. Info in TC-200M :
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-30/Converters/Other-Lenses/TC-200M.html

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back