• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

London Park Fowl (1 Viewer)

BarbatusOne

Blake Matheson
Greetings all,

I'm an American birder studying at Oxford for the year and am feverishly trying to lengthen my life list while in the UK. I have what is undoubtedly a question with an obvious answer, but if someone out there might be good enough to help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Are ALL the fowl that occur in the London parks domestic or tame? Obviously Nene and Red-breasted Goose, etc., are. But what about naturally occuring British birds like Common & Red-crested Porchard, Tufted Duck, Smew, Goldeneye, Shelduck, etc.? Are any wild or ferally breeding birds known to winter there?

Thanks so much,
Blake Matheson

BarbatusOne said:
Greetings all,

I'm an American birder studying at Oxford for the year and am feverishly trying to lengthen my life list while in the UK. I have what is undoubtedly a question with an obvious answer, but if someone out there might be good enough to help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Are ALL the fowl that occur in the London parks domestic or tame? Obviously Nene and Red-breasted Goose, etc., are. But what about naturally occuring British birds like Common & Red-crested Porchard, Tufted Duck, Smew, Goldeneye, Shelduck, etc.? Are any wild or ferally breeding birds known to winter there?

Thanks so much,
Blake Matheson

There are sure to be some wild birds, but I would be very suspicious of anything out of the ordinary, and I would count Red-crested Pochard as dodgy. Personally I would go to a wilder spot - have you discovered the London Wetlands Centre? Or Otmoor RSPB reserve near Oxford? Or Farmoor Reservoirs, also near Oxford?

Steve

Hi Blake,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Hope you are enjoying your year in the UK.

I agree with Steve - almost anything in the Parks could be suspicious e.g. there are Eider on St James Park lake.

Certainly the birds in St James's Park are a mixture. If you are worried about such things, I would agree with Steve and suggest that you find a 'wilder' place.

Steve's suggestion is sound, there are several other reservoirs, Brent and Staines come to mind, that are easily accessible and have some decent wildfowl.
Have you seen the London Birding site?...
http://www.birding-in-london.co.uk/

Don't hesitate to ask for any further information and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Hi Blake

I'm sure some of us will be willing to show you around. Otmoor is near to Oxford (I was there the other week) and it can have some good birds Bearded Tit (ok 1!!) and Cettis Warbler (which I actually saw!) and there are some good Red Kite sites near there.

Wintering Bird Help

A very kind offer Pete. I actually was at Otmoor last week. May I say it is a remarkable pain in the a** to get out there from Oxford without a car, public transportation is virtually non-existent in that direction, but such are the travails of birding. I heard about the Bearded Tits (is it not Reedling anymore as in the Collins guide) but missed them, as did I miss the Bittern that was also supposed to be there. I was standing next to someone who said they heard the Cetti's but YOU GUESSED IT never saw that either. Luckily I am still at the point where less exciting things are still lifers for me, Water Rail, Fieldfare, Stonechat, Reed Bunting were all new.

I am going home for in a couple weeks for X-mas but when I get back, my main concern will be seeing British overwintering birds that I won't have a chance for in Spring. This means a lot of the geese, which never seem to be countable in Oxfordshire. For wild Bean, Pink-foots & Barnacles, do I need to go to the coast? Where would be the most reliable spot for them??

Thanks So Much, This is a very helpful resource for someone like me

Blake

BarbatusOne said:
I am going home for in a couple weeks for X-mas but when I get back, my main concern will be seeing British overwintering birds that I won't have a chance for in Spring. This means a lot of the geese, which never seem to be countable in Oxfordshire. For wild Bean, Pink-foots & Barnacles, do I need to go to the coast? Where would be the most reliable spot for them??

Blake

Hi Blake

To see Bean Geese you will need to go to the Yare valley in Norfolk, around Strumpshaw and Buckenham. That is the only regular flock in England and they are there until the end of January most winters.
Pink-footed Goose is much easier and you get large flocks on the north Norfolk coast at places such as Holkham, where you also find White-fronted geese and scarcer species often turn up too. The Horsey area, SE Norfolk is also good for Pink-feet and White-fronts and has a population of Common Cranes too.
I hope you find tham.

Steve

BarbatusOne said:
A very kind offer Pete. I actually was at Otmoor last week. May I say it is a remarkable pain in the a** to get out there from Oxford without a car, public transportation is virtually non-existent in that direction, but such are the travails of birding. I heard about the Bearded Tits (is it not Reedling anymore as in the Collins guide) but missed them, as did I miss the Bittern that was also supposed to be there. I was standing next to someone who said they heard the Cetti's but YOU GUESSED IT never saw that either. Luckily I am still at the point where less exciting things are still lifers for me, Water Rail, Fieldfare, Stonechat, Reed Bunting were all new.

Thanks So Much, This is a very helpful resource for someone like me

Blake

There will be Pink Feet and White Front in Norfolk at Holkham (Pink Feet are definitely about). There are the occaisional Bean Goose at Welney - 6 last winter.

Bearded Reedling is the proper name but I think most Brits still call them Tits.

Pete is right - in fact the White-fronted as well as the Pink-feet are definitely about at Holkham, because I saw them there on Saturday! As well as those splendid Shore Larks of course......

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back