• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you seen a Junco? Where are they? (1 Viewer)

arenaria

I subscribed to this forum because I am very concerned. Junco's were once numerous and regular ground feeders in my area. This year there are none. NONE. I live in far Northern Vermont and am surrounded by conifer forests. These were the most common bird in my yard for years. There are no Juncos and it is alarming me. No one I know within 35 miles of my home has seen any, and we are all watching. Where are the Junco's?

Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

It's been a very strange year for migrants. Where I have several dozen juncos, their numbers are still not as large as in previous years.

Well, down here in southern NJ I've seen many Dark-eyed Juncos both in my backyard and around the Cooper River where I do most of my birding. Since I'm new to serious bird watching this year, I can't speak about a possible decrease in numbers this year from years past.

In the Sound Shore suburbs they have been as plentiful this year as ever. Interesting to hear something different from another area, but this has been an unusual year for migrants. The CBC counts for the year will be interesting to study. My Westchester area count was also fairly normal for Juncos. David

I have a nearly constant supply of juncos at my feeder; up to 40 at any one time. The population seems very healthy here in Nevada, but I have no real data. You might check the Christmas count data.

I have seen juncos, only a few times, this season. Today, one was in the garden, at my window, only 320 meters from New York's Broadway.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

The "slate-colored" race of Dark-eyed Juncos have been here in good numbers all winter. One day we even had a "pink-sided" Dark-eyed Junco show up! The juncos are one of the most numerous species coming to our backyard feeders, together with the House Finches and American Goldfinches.

Other regulars to our feeders are White-breasted and Red-breasted Nuthatches, Carolina Wrens, Pine Siskins, Red-bellied and Downy Woodpeckers. Once in awhile a Northern Cardinal, Blue Jay, White-throated Sparrow or House Sparrow drops in for some seed. Instead of the juncos being absent, here it seems to be the Black-capped Chickadee which seems to be much reduced in numbers this year. Most days they do not even appear! It just seems to be the "up and downs" of birding.

I had also noticed a decline in the numbers of juncos in my yard. I live in central New Hampshire. We have had snow on the ground since the end of November. It has snowed so often the birdseed that is normally available under my feeders has been covered in snow.

I added a ground feeder a few weeks ago and have attracted a good number of juncos along with cardinals and blue jays.

I hope this helps attract these cute little birds.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back