Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 2.00 average.
Old Saturday 22nd April 2017, 10:23   #1076
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by denco@comcast.n View Post
It would be nice if Tract could produce a 10x42 image stabilized binocular with a reasonable weight wouldn't it? Especially if they could sell it for less than $1000.00. For now we will have to be satisfied with the Canon 10x42 IS-L if you want IS. I know it is kind of heavy and bulky but that is the price you pay to have IS. Because of the IS the Canon is my favorite 10x binocular. You can just see more detail with it and like you say in certain situations the IS is a godsend. The Tract Toric is my favorite 8x because it ticks more of my boxes than any other binocular at a remarkable price.
Dennis
Kamakura has registered several patents for image-stabilising tech, so you might get your wish one day.

Lee
Old Saturday 22nd April 2017, 14:33   #1077
denco@comcast.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Dennis
Kamakura has registered several patents for image-stabilising tech, so you might get your wish one day.

Lee
It would be nice if they could build them lighter than the current IS binoculars on the market like the Canon IS and the Nikon Stabileyes but I think to have IS you are going to have to have a heavier binocular until we get digital binoculars.
Old Saturday 22nd April 2017, 15:45   #1078
WJC

The Nikon, Bushnell, and Fujinon's Techno -Stabi all have the same pedigree which, I believe come from a company starting with ... K.

Bill
Old Saturday 22nd April 2017, 15:55   #1079
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
The Nikon, Bushnell, and Fujinon's Techno -Stabi all have the same pedigree which, I believe come from a company starting with ... K.

Bill
Hi Bill thanks for this. So which company is it?
Choose from Kellogs, Kraft, Kawasaki, Kleenex or Kahles
Or Kamakura

Lee
Old Saturday 22nd April 2017, 17:29   #1080
ailevin

I wonder if the new Opticron IS monocular has that same pedigree.

Alan
Old Saturday 22nd April 2017, 17:51   #1081
Steve O4B
VP of Sales, Optics4Birding.com

Most inexpensive cameras that have IS use electronic sensor-based IS, not mechanical. That would not be available on an all glass binocular. Mechanical IS means additional weight.

The close focus distance on the Canon 10x42 IS is 8.2' (2.5m). Here in SoCal, many birders also do butterflies and dragonflies, and 8.2' is not sufficient.

As for carrying both binoculars and scope, that is determined by habitat. For sea watches, shorebirds, longspurs and pipits, waterfowl, and raptors, I carry my scope. For tighter quarters like forests, riparian areas, and urban parks, its binos only.
Old Sunday 23rd April 2017, 03:01   #1082
denco@comcast.n

There is really no substitute for a good spotting scope for sea watches or any long distance observing. The Opticron IS Scope that Frank mentioned would be interesting to try. Interesting that all those IS binoculars come from Kamakura. Why couldn't Tract get an IS binocular built by Kamakura then? I think a lot of birders would be interested if they could get the weight down a little from the Canon IS and improve on the close focus.

Last edited by denco@comcast.n : Sunday 23rd April 2017 at 03:05.
Old Sunday 23rd April 2017, 08:28   #1083
Troubador

There is some resistance to the concept as well. I look at the price and wonder what has been left out of the optical system to pay for the IS. Then there is the handling question: Canon's feel even more alien in my hands than porros. And if the battery runs out you are left with weight that is providing no benefit and who wants to carry spare batteries for bins as well as cameras?

Of course if you really like the IS system and what it provides, none of the above is serious, but I am not attracted to the current instruments at all due to the above. If I am going to view for a long time, I sit down and brace my arms on my knees and this is easily steady enough.

Lee
Old Sunday 23rd April 2017, 15:25   #1084
denco@comcast.n

I guess using IS comes down to if you feel the negatives are worth putting up with for the positives. No matter how I sit or brace my arms I can't get the rock steady tripod like view I get with an IS binocular. Having a steady view to me more than makes up for slight advantages in the optics in other areas. A lot of times I don't have time to sit down and brace my arms when observing a fast fleeting seabird. Sometime you only have a few seconds to get that ID and IS a lot of the times makes the difference in getting the ID and not getting the ID especially when you are at the limits of your resolution. I think if Tract could make a really high quality IS binocular that was no more than 30 oz. and had fairly normal roof prism ergonomics it would really sell to birders.
Old Sunday 23rd April 2017, 15:41   #1085
WJC

Quote:
Hi Bill thanks for this. So which company is it?
Choose from Kellogs, Kraft, Kawasaki, Kleenex or Kahles
Or Kamakura

Lee
Hey, you didn't hear it from me. Like Mark Twain, I'm getting so old most of the things I remember never happened at all!

Bill
Old Sunday 23rd April 2017, 15:47   #1086
Troubador

Quote:
I guess using IS comes down to if you feel the negatives are worth putting up with for the positives. No matter how I sit or brace my arms I can't get the rock steady tripod like view I get with an IS binocular. Having a steady view to me more than makes up for slight advantages in the optics in other areas. A lot of times I don't have time to sit down and brace my arms when observing a fast fleeting seabird. Sometime you only have a few seconds to get that ID and IS a lot of the times makes the difference in getting the ID and not getting the ID especially when you are at the limits of your resolution. I think if Tract could make a really high quality IS binocular that was no more than 30 oz. and had fairly normal roof prism ergonomics it would really sell to birders.
A lot of that makes sense Dennis and I can see the attraction but weight, handling, fov and close focus issues rule them out for me. However if a decent brand launched a model such as you describe at no more than 28ozs that could be interesting.

Lee
Old Sunday 23rd April 2017, 20:26   #1087
denco@comcast.n

Right now for many birder's you have to give up too much in other areas to get IS. IS is a good thing though. I think if you could buy your Zeiss Conquest HD's and they had almost the same specifications but with a little button that made them perform like you were looking through a tripod I think you and many other people would buy them.
Old Monday 24th April 2017, 08:30   #1088
Troubador

[quote=denco@comcast.n;3555908]

a little button that made them perform like you were looking through a tripod QUOTE]

Actually Dennis, there are not many people who want their binos to perform as if you were looking through a tripod I have two tripods. I must try looking through them some time

But I know what you mean

Lee
Old Sunday 30th April 2017, 23:12   #1089
SuperDuty

Actually, Billy Bob Hendricks uses a tripod without the aid of optics for his viewing, says it's better than his SV, but that guy is REALLY (out there).

Lee's the only one that knows what in thunder I'm talking about.

[quote=Troubador;3556098]
Quote:

a little button that made them perform like you were looking through a tripod QUOTE]

Actually Dennis, there are not many people who want their binos to perform as if you were looking through a tripod I have two tripods. I must try looking through them some time

But I know what you mean

Lee
Old Monday 1st May 2017, 16:45   #1090
Troubador

[quote=SuperDuty;3559392]Actually, Billy Bob Hendricks uses a tripod without the aid of optics for his viewing, says it's better than his SV, but that guy is REALLY (out there).

LOL. I gave my tripods a spring clean today and spent a few moments looking through them at the Bullfinches in our back garden. I have to say this left me unimpressed. I'm getting worried about Billy Bob.

Lee
Old Monday 1st May 2017, 21:49   #1091
denco@comcast.n

[quote=Troubador;3559758]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
Actually, Billy Bob Hendricks uses a tripod without the aid of optics for his viewing, says it's better than his SV, but that guy is REALLY (out there).

LOL. I gave my tripods a spring clean today and spent a few moments looking through them at the Bullfinches in our back garden. I have to say this left me unimpressed. I'm getting worried about Billy Bob.

Lee
I better correct my error before this get's out of hand. I meant like you are looking through your binocular mounted to a tripod. There.
Old Monday 1st May 2017, 23:03   #1092
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch

[quote=denco@comcast.n;3559975]
Quote:
I better correct my error before this get's out of hand. I meant like you are looking through your binocular mounted to a tripod. There.
Actually Dennis, it was A Lot more interesting the other way around. Tried it like Lee, also wasn't very impressed. Had to stop the Mrs. on the phone as she thought I had LOST IT!

Ted
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 12:47   #1093
Murmur

I don't have a tripod: am I missing out?

Confused of Northumberland
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 12:48   #1094
Troubador

[quote=denco@comcast.n;3559975]
Quote:
Dag nabbit Dennis it was so much more fun before you said this.
However, getting the tripods out for scope or photography will never be quite the same again

Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: