• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallards turn predator (1 Viewer)

Not entirely new behaviour. I have heard of a couple of instances where this has happened. I remember of one such episode in Scotland and a quick search revealed this from a few years back.

The duck was treating the wagtail like it was a similar-sized and similar-shaped frog. I suspect it is not very wise for fledglings to land near little egrets (or any other mallard-sized bird; black-headed gull, crow) either. What saves small birds in most circumstances is their quick movement out of the way. I guess many slower small birds (for example with injured foot) fall prey to larger birds they mingle around while foraging. I saw a photo of a fieldfare caught by a crow in a place where on the same day I saw both species feeding together on lawn without conflict at one foot apart. Crows are a major factor in mallard duckling mortality in our area, and they were reported tricking a slow pigeon into allowing it to be gradually surrounded by a murder.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back