• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song Thrush Dropping Snails To Break Them Open? (1 Viewer)

Was out on my bike on the Leeds Liverpool canal today and came across this chap tucking into a nice bit of escargot ;-)

I didn't see the bird drop the snail, but from the photos you can clearly see the shell and the snail separated from it.

There are seldom snails along the path except for at nighttime and there were no other snails for my whole 5 mile ride. And there was no sticky trail either so I am only guessing that the Song Thrush dropped the snail to crack the shell and eat it - I know I could be very wrong about that.

So is this behaviour known at all?

Thank you :)

Attachments

• song-thrush-snail.jpg
    song-thrush-snail.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 56
No. They smash them against a rock (concrete, tarmac, anything will do!) until the juicy bits come free. Great in my garden, helping to keep the snail population down!

As Jon says they hold the snail shell in their beak and then turn their head and thwack the snail down onto their chosen anvil. When we buried the dog in the copse at the bottom of the garden I put a big stone slab on top to stop the badgers digging him up. Now it's covered in bits of snail shells, and I can hear the twacking most days. As has also been said, another reason not to use slug pellets.
Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back