• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied Flycatcher fledging (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
One of the Pied Flycatchers left the nest today and I expected that they'd all go at the same time.

At least on bird remains in the box an the female continues to feed it / them. The male who had been in constant attendance with the female, is now largely absent, I presume, attending the bird/s that have fledged.

My question, is it usual for a brood to fledge, staggered over two days?

A

My question, is it usual for a brood to fledge, staggered over two days?

It has happened several times over the years with the boxes attached to my house/immediate garden, so I guess regular even if not common.

Can't really say anything regarding the mass of my boxes as I don't observe them closely enough to notice if fledgling is staggered or not, sorry.

It has happened several times over the years with the boxes attached to my house/immediate garden, so I guess regular even if not common.

Can't really say anything regarding the mass of my boxes as I don't observe them closely enough to notice if fledgling is staggered or not, sorry.

Thanks,
my wife is driven to distraction with visions of a bird that's stuck and can't get out of the box!

A

Thanks,
my wife is driven to distraction with visions of a bird that's stuck and can't get out of the box!

A

That can happen, if a chick gets a foot wrapped up in some nest material. Long strands of wool, or worse, nylon, are common culprits. So it can be worth a check if one chick is staying unusually long.

That can happen, if a chick gets a foot wrapped up in some nest material. Long strands of wool, or worse, nylon, are common culprits. So it can be worth a check if one chick is staying unusually long.

Unfortunately I've seen it happen in Africa with an Western Bluebill, the nest was hanging over water and had a Croc sat under it so we couldn't help.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back