• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA - Massachusetts - Baby Barn Swallows Pushed From Nest? (1 Viewer)

Primeequine

Hi folks,
I have two families of barn swallows who visit every year. Usually, I am unaware of the location of their nests. But, this year, one of the families built their nest on an electrical junction box in my horse barn. About a week ago, I noticed an egg cracked in the aisle of my barn right below the nest. I assumed that the egg was t going to hatch so mom and dad removed it from the nest. Then, yesterday, I walked into the barn and saw three babies in the aisle - all had perished. I am so upset. I haven't seen mom and dad since. Why would this happen? Did mom and dad push them out? A predator? Another bird? If anyone can enlighten me as to what may have happened, I would appreciate it. If they use that nest next year, I'm securing a net underneath it so this doesn't happen again.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back