• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Male Swallow not the father caring for young (1 Viewer)

Is it known for male Swallows to look after baby birds not his own?

I volunteer at a nature reserve in Norfolk which has a nest in the visitor centre. The male went missing for several weeks whilst the 5 eggs were still incubating. Another male then turned up and tried to court the mother who was understandably not responding to him. After a few days the eggs hatched and he was still there after her. 2 of the babies were thrown out of the nest, one survived and was replaced but later died anyway. This is why we are almost certain the male is not the original father.

A week after they hatched and he has started to feed and care for the young. He is reluctant to, often bringing in flies then eating them himself in front of them. But a few times he does feed them and takes out poo sacks.

I just wondered if this was something that was known before.

since swallows sometimes have 2 broods im wondering if the new bird is perhaps a sibling from the first brood who hasnt moved on...i have noticed this type of behavior with the barn swallows i have here

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back