• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird is? from ROMANIA, small bird (1 Viewer)

greendoom

Hello, today I saw a bird I can not identify, if you can help me I would be grateful.

Attachments

• quizz.jpg
    quizz.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 365
  • quiz.jpg
    quiz.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 356
I can confirm that there is a large number of lanius in the area where I live, both as a population and as a species.

I will attach an image in which I think I was surprised, in the same area a lanius collurio and 2 oenanthe oenanthe: http://imgur.com/a/PsDLk

It's not sparrow .... Is in a tall acacia, about 15 m and can confirm 100% that he was not a sparrow .... he was fast moving and behave differently.

If it was a Masked Shrike I would expect to see at least a hint of the white patch at the base of the primaries on pic #1. Far too long-tailed for House Sparrow.

My first impression was bunting. Could it be a female/1cy Black-headed Bunting? Although the tail is possibly a bit long and also the head-pattern doesn't seem to be quite right... hmmm, where in Romania did you take the photo?

If it was a Masked Shrike I would expect to see at least a hint of the white patch at the base of the primaries on pic #1. Far too long-tailed for House Sparrow.

My first impression was bunting. Could it be a female/1cy Black-headed Bunting? Although the tail is possibly a bit long and also the head-pattern doesn't seem to be quite right... hmmm, where in Romania did you take the photo?

I don't think it looks like a Shrike either FWIW

A

I'm glad to see that everyone is struggling even to identify the family. The tail matches the best an Emberizidae and the beak is not right for a Laniidae. Therefore, I would exclude shrikes and sparrows.

I based my initial guess on the seemingly shrike-like stance, the short legs and the general plumage patterns and colouration.
https://www.google.dk/search?q=mask...UICSgB&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=feDt3V-JePG2RM:

The white patch at the base of the primaries are not seen when the wing is folded completely.
https://www.google.dk/search?q=juve...UICSgB&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=ya2IAP8Rnmsh1M:

No other European shrike has such a proportionately long tail (except Long-tailed Shrike, ha ha), but against my shot from the hip are the following issues:

Yellow (if no artefact) undertailcoverts, forked tail (typical for buntings), and possibly shape of bill (though blurred on the photo).

Nice challenge here:t:

Peter

Last edited:
I think the eye-brow excluded BhB.

If it really is an eye-brow and not an artefact... supposing it is real than of course BhB is excluded. Actually, my first thought was Yellowhammer or Cirl Bunting (due to very long tail) but the bill seems too large and the underside is too little marked. But this might be due to over-exposure?

Once more, it shows how difficult it can be to determine bird from rather blurred photos...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back