• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Apple Eater (1 Viewer)

seanuf99

I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this question, but I hope some one has an idea. I am new to the birding hobby and started by putting a feeder out for the cardinals that frequent my back yard. I put a whole apple outside and 'someone' took the entire thing. There are no foot prints in the snow around it and it looks like the apple was slid for about 4 inches before being removed completely. Most of the birds I see are too small to have taken it, so I was wondering if the Cooper's Hawk that I see frequently could have possibly done it. This was during daylight hours- mid afternoon and since there was 2 inches of snow on the ground and no foot prints, I assume it had to be a bird. Thoughts on the hawk?

Thanks in advance.

I have not seen any crows in my yard, but I am in central Indiana, so I am sure they are near by. I did not think it would have been the hawk, but was thinking- maybe if he thought it was a cardinal he may have grabbed it. I will take a look out for crowes though...

A crow or raven would be my guess also. It certainly wouldn't have been the Coop!

And welcome to BirdForum. There're tons of interesting threads here and I hope you stick around.

Last edited:
Thank's so much. I sure will be sticking around. I literally started the feeding and watching about a month ago and have been fascinated with the various birds that have been hanging around (so many questions and pics to share): chickadees, cardinals, blue jays, downy and red belly wood peckers, house finches, wrens, nuthatches, etc. Although, I fear I have created a buffet for the beautiful Cooper's. He's had two meals here that I know of. As a side note, I just moved here from the New Mexico desert, so it has been fun seeing the variety-- was used to seeing just roadrunners and doves in the yard.

As a side note, I just moved here from the New Mexico desert, so it has been fun seeing the variety-- was used to seeing just roadrunners and doves in the yard.

I'd love to see a Roadrunner in my yard! ;) I'll have to travel south sometime to see one... A Crow or Raven is most probable, the Cooper's most likely would recognize whether or not it was a bird or fruit, unless he's going vegan :eek!:...very unlikely! Welcome to BirdForum!

Although, I fear I have created a buffet for the beautiful Cooper's.
There's a well-worn saying, among those of us who put out bird feeders: "When you feed the birds, you feed ALL the birds."

(I too, would be more than a little pleased to have a roadrunner coming to my feeders! Come to think of it, I would be quite happy to see a roadrunner at all...)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back