• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

experiment (1 Viewer)

I dont have decent erecting prism atmo, just cheapy meade one. Can you suggest one for 40/50 quid? WIll try and find one 2nd hand.....know anyone who might have one?

will save up for quallity one latter on.

`I don't use an erecting prism, `

thats no good for seawatching, imposible to follow a flying bird without correct image. 50% of my birding is along the shore.

JBT,
I don't know since don't have those - 90º wouldn't work for me and I even don't like the 45º. I must retest it with an eyepiece since I've been using it with the binoviewer.
I was expecting to try it with a TV Ethos 21mm but the friend who had it sold it before I could test... :-C
Meanwhile I noticed that the TV Nagler Type 4 have good eyerelief and will try to test a 22mm but don't know when. My 2" 30mm WWF has a curved field with fast telescopes, so will test again the 1.25" eyepieces WF I have - I remembered to test the FSA-L2 with a Panoptic 2" 35mm and the image quality was great!

Thanks for the info David. Reason why I ask is I've been looking for a way to use one wide field EP(over 70 degrees) with the capabilities of increasing the magnification without having to remove the EP from the focuser.

Woodhornbirder I've only used that WO refractor you bought once and if memory serves me correctly it had some very nice views to it. It seemed to be a very nice scope. I've been looking for the perfect birding refractor for a few years now because it's the only way I can use the 2" widefield astro eyepieces for low power widefield views. So far I've tried a TeleVue 76 which was great but too heavy for my liking. Then I tried a Vixen 80ss which worked awesome at low powers but I couldn't get the high powers that I was looking for out of it. Currently I'm using a Tak FS60 which I'm liking so far. I'm using a WO 45 deg angle 2" prism which works great as long as I stay below 40x-50x. I've heard great things about Baader 90 degree prisms but I haven't tried one personally. Have fun with your new experimentally scope.

Am being bit blonde here....amnot clear how i get a 2" focuser to attach to the scope.

it coems with 1.25", but i would like to be able to use both. Can anyone spell it out for me...?

thanks)

Am being bit blonde here....amnot clear how i get a 2" focuser to attach to the scope.

Why would you want a 2" focusser on a scope of such short focal length?

A 24 mm Televue Panoptic, for example, still has a 1 1/4" barrel and would give you a mere 16x mag. and 69° AFOV. With shorter focal lengths (and higher mags.) there would be little risk of the erecting prism vignetting.

John

Here is the adapter you need. I see now it is discontinued item. You just need a SCT 2" adapter. I would of thought they would include this with this scope. Something like this second item.

http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/SCTadapter66_features.php#

http://www.adorama.com/ONVBSCT2.html

Steve,

The link on the OP shows the scope with a 1,6" focusser, so wouldn't adapting to 2" cause vignetting with 2" eyepieces? There might also be insufficient in-focus - or did I misunderstand something?

Regards,
John

Steve,

The link on the OP shows the scope with a 1,6" focusser, so wouldn't adapting to 2" cause vignetting with 2" eyepieces? There might also be insufficient in-focus - or did I misunderstand something?

Regards,
John

I am the one that missed something!;) You are right John.:t: Must of been too early in the morning for me.

`Here is the adapter you need. I see now it is discontinued item. You just need a SCT 2" adapter.`

which of those 2 links do you mean? DO you mean i need BOTH items or one of them, plz be more clear.

`Why would you want a 2" focusser on a scope` (perhaps focusser was the wrong word)

I want to attach 2" eyepieces. ALot of good eps sold on 2nd hand market are 2", however i suppose the problem is finding a 2" erecting prism.? They seem to be rare or very expensive.

Are you suggesting i would see no differnce in image qualityby `upgrading` to 2" over 1.25 ? I thought 2" eps gathered more light....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back