• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neil Hayward's ABA 2013 Big Year (1 Viewer)

I don't know if I would go that far. A big year is doable for a middle class person if they have some saving to fall back on, have a year free (retirement, sabatical, self-employed, etc), and are not afraid of credit card bills.

Newest update: Success on the Whiskered Auklet and Whooper Swan.

More intriguing...full details haven't come out yet, but it looks like they may have scored a first ABA record Sparrowhawk, although the ID sounds sketchy still.

Without the Accipiter, Neil is at 742 + 2, tied with John Vanderpoel who is 743+1. The Sparrowhawk might push him to 742 + 3, putting him in second place.

Hypothetically Neil needs only 4 more birds to take the ABA big year record!

Newest update: Success on the Whiskered Auklet and Whooper Swan.

More intriguing...full details haven't come out yet, but it looks like they may have scored a first ABA record Sparrowhawk, although the ID sounds sketchy still.

Without the Accipiter, Neil is at 742 + 2, tied with John Vanderpoel who is 743+1. The Sparrowhawk might push him to 742 + 3, putting him in second place.

Hypothetically Neil needs only 4 more birds to take the ABA big year record!

Where are you getting these updates from? His blog has nothing since Texas.

Aba facebook page...also he has updated his year list, just not his blog yet.

There was also a link there to the Sparrowhawk pics

Yeah I am kind of curious what sort of employment he has that allows him to spontaneously do a big year. my gut tells me he is not bad off financially.

From linkedin.com: "Neil Hayward, Founder at Cambridge Blue Consulting, Greater Boston Area | Biotechnology". So that might explain things a bit.

I'm more impressed though with his energy and patience when chasing birds. He mentions only 6 (six!) "Chased and missed" birds for the whole year. I easily dip on more than that during a single weekend.

Wim

How many does Neil need now? I've only started looking at his blog recently - very entertaining stuff. It will surely be one of the best documented big years, especially in terms of the photographic support for this records. Fingers crossed!!

cheers, alan

His blog isn't completely updated yet, but he should be at 742+2. Depending on what Komito's actual number is (745 or 745+3), Neil needs either 4, to put him at 746 without the unreviewed first ABA records, or 5, to put him at 749 including the unreviewed records. These numbers assume that Neil continues to not count Aplomado Falcon, which Komito apparently did count. It all gets fairly confusing, but is certainly fun to follow.

Are there any rare or elusive residents possible? I guess not. So, in the remaining two weeks, any 'predictable' rarities on the cards? Western Spindalis, La Sagra's Flycatcher or other West Indian species? Something high Arctic? Has he got Ivory Gull yet?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back