• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is all this bird ringing necessary? (1 Viewer)

Couldn't agree more.
The Ringers who caught the 27 Willow Warblers and 3 Chiffchaff at a well known flagship RSPB reserve the other day then proceeded to process all of them!In other words they got each one out of the mist net[ how long had the poor things been stuck on a net for before the Ringers arrived?].Then they put each one in a dark bag.Then they carried them to a ringing station.Then each bird was left in the bag hanging from a hook.Some would be there for a long time waiting their turn.After that they were weighed then taken out of the bag to be man handled whilst they checked the sex,the fat and other measurements.
Then a ring would be taken off if wearing one and a new one put on.Finally they would be released again.
So proud of themselves they then tell us how many birds they processed in this ordeal.
So unless we need to know an awful lot more about Willow Warblers and Chiffchaff[or the 40 Greenfinch ringed the other day elswhere],what purpose did this potentially traumatising experience for the birds serve?
I would argue it benefitted the Ringers the most.They got up feeling as though they had something to do that morning.They excitedly approached the mist net and hoped they had a good catch that day.Even better they might even catch a rarity.
Who is getting the most out of this?Humans or birds?
'Then a ring would be taken off if wearing one and a new one put on'.
Did you see this happen? If so, did you ask why it was happening? It is certainly not done as a matter of course as you suggest and therefore you are misleading readers of your post. When a replacement ring is required it is reported to the BTO so that data is not lost. You are rightly concerned about bird welfare but it is important that what you write is factually correct.

'Then a ring would be taken off if wearing one and a new one put on'.
Did you see this happen? If so, did you ask why it was happening? It is certainly not done as a matter of course as you suggest and therefore you are misleading readers of your post. When a replacement ring is required it is reported to the BTO so that data is not lost. You are rightly concerned about bird welfare but it is important that what you write is factually correct.

I stand corrected on the replacement ring comment if that is not the procedure.
So If they catch a bird that is already ringed do they just leave it on?
Still stand by my arguement that a lot of this ringing is unecessary.
How long do you reckon they are trapped in the mist nets before they are recovered on average?
How long would it be before the last bird is released after being taken out of the net if 30 birds were being ringed?

Last edited:
I stand corrected on the replacement ring comment if that is not the procedure.
So If they catch a bird that is already ringed do they just leave it on?
Still stand by my arguement that a lot of this ringing is unecessary.
How long do you reckon they are trapped in the mist nets before they are recovered on average?
How long would it be before the last bird is released after being taken out of the net if 30 birds were being ringed?
Rings are usually only removed if they become worn with age and abrasion. This of course infers that the bird has survived to a good age without coming to any harm from the ringing. The answers to the other questions you ask will depend very much upon how many ringers are available, weather conditions and data collected etc. but the birds welfare must always come first.

On ringing demonstrations I've witnessed people usually wait between 15 and 20 minutes before nets are emptied but as others have said it varies, though it would not be significantly over 20 minutes.

No wonder it goes quiet and makes no attempt to extricate itself. It is most likely in a state of shock.
A friend of mine came over the other week to catch House Martins which nest on the house. He caught the adults by quickly holding a net over the entrance to the nest after the adults returned with food for the chicks. The Adults were processed, ringed and released and immediately went back to feeding and within a few minutes were back at the nest with food for the chicks as if nothing had happened.
I've seen several examples of birds singing and feeding straight after being ringed and parent birds returning to nests and chicks feeding straight after being ringed. Not behaviour one would expect from birds in shock.

I am sure these ringers are actually being competitive boasting how many birds they have trapped,bagged and ringed... I think the majority are in this for their own selfish means.It gives them a reason to get up in the morning and some sort of dubious purpose in life.
Why do you have a problem with people enjoying what they do? Being a hobby and a serious scientific exercise should not necessarily be mutually exclusive.

Do we not enough known about Greenfinches and Willow Warblers then?

No. Read the previous comments.

Poor House Martin!Just getting on with its life and being pestered and manhandled by an interfering human being.Do you really think scientific knowledge about House Martins has now been seriously advanced.Why did you have to contact your ringer friend?Who benefitted the most the ringer or the bird?
What about the mass number of birds being bagged and kept in there until it is its turn to be processed.
Its the serious scientific study aspect I find difficult to accept.What information about Greenfinches ,Willow warblers Chiffchaffs and 99% of birds being trapped are the ringers trying to discover.
Lets be honest its just a hobby not some pressing scientific study to discover information we don't already know about.
It seems the ringers are more interested in what suits them and less about the birds welfare.
I do have a problem whereby animals rights are superceded by the selfish desires of human beings.

Last edited:
I think the onus must be on the person doing these identifications and gathering knowledge to specify exactly what knowledge is being gained and how it is expanding on what is already known. Do you publish your findings, or submit to organisations who then publish the data?

A valid, and very important point. Yes I do publish, and submit. Specifically, in my field, there is very little information on the distribution of Slugs both in the UK and Europe as a whole. This is mainly through a lack of knowledge regarding the species that are present, plus, whole groups of taxa are being 'split' from what was previously considered a single species. Molluscs are somewhat different from birds but enlarging our knowledge ( knowledge, IMO, only exists when it's broadcast to the wider community. Prior to that it's just 'brain junk' ).

Chris

One point on the numbers of birds being ringed.
A responsible bird ringer should be calculating the correct sample size to provide statistically valid data.
Catching and ringing 5 birds is likely to provide no valid data and so would be pointless and arguably cruel.
Catching and ringing the correct sample size, which may be 40 birds depending on various factors, will provide valid (i.e. useful) scientific data whilst also being arguably cruel.

Try not to fall into the trap of thinking trapping fewer birds would be better. Either trap the correct number or none at all.

Poor House Martin!Just getting on with its life and being pestered and manhandled by an interfering human being. Do you really think scientific knowledge about House Martins has now been seriously advanced.

Do you know where UK House Martins winter, or indeed do you know where in general the most important wintering grounds of House Martins are? Despite our supposed full knowledge of the commoner species, the reality is that for House Martins this is still poorly known. Can future declines be understood if such basic information is lacking, should we guess the decline is due to 'something happening somewhere' or could we correlate data to attempt to substantiate this.

I think ringers should think about the value of their ringing and in areas where standards are still somewhat less than desirable, they should get their act into gear, but ringing certainly still has a place, still contributes to understanding and in controlled studies can be vital.

Whether ringers primarily conduct the activity because they enjoy it is neither here nor there, I would not expect (or actually want) someone who does not enjoy it to participate in ringing.

Last edited:
I think all anthropomorphists should be ringed with a very heavy ring, and have a large plastic label attached to them saying "I am an anthropomorphist". Would they still be able to migrate and breed successfully ? lol

I think ringers should think about the value of their ringing and in areas where standards are still somewhat less than desirable, they should get their act into gear, but ringing certainly still has a place, still contributes to understanding and in controlled studies can be vital.

Whether ringers primarily conduct the activity because they enjoy it is neither here nor there, I would not expect (or actually want) someone who does not enjoy it to participate in ringing.

I agree with this wholeheartedly - and would add my view that casual/erratic ringing should not be permitted. Only ringing done in a systematic manner such as constant effort sites, as part of some study or project or in another ongoing manner that brings valuable and meaningful information.

I would hope that one day technological advances would make it unnecessary to catch birds in nets or traps and handle them. In the meantime I believe it is unarguable that responsible ringing has always been incredibly valuable.

Simon

I would hope that one day technological advances would make it unnecessary to catch birds in nets or traps and handle them. In the meantime I believe it is unarguable that responsible ringing has always been incredibly valuable.
Simon
I hope for those technological advances too, but agree with your premise that in the meantime ringing is necessary for the scientific reasons given in this thread.

This is a very UK-centric thread isn't it? By all means defend ringing for scientific reasons but beware of defending it because of the strict 'standards' enacted in ringing; this is only a valid argument in the UK and maybe a handful of other countries. Standards elsewhere (including here in Aus) are not necessarily anywhere near as good.

This is a very UK-centric thread isn't it? By all means defend ringing for scientific reasons but beware of defending it because of the strict 'standards' enacted in ringing; this is only a valid argument in the UK and maybe a handful of other countries. Standards elsewhere (including here in Aus) are not necessarily anywhere near as good.

Interesting! What is the training like in Aus?

Having said all that about the thread being UK-centric (I agree), the good training does not mean there are not bad practises. Some ringers treat ringing as they would when twitching - yep, you guessed it, they have a tick list. I also know of ringing exercises that were conducted outside the spirit of what ringing is supposed to provide in terms of information. However, I am intrigued by some of the thoughts of some of the people who have witnessed ringing activities outside the UK and it would be nice to give up the floor to them to read of their experiences.

Lets be honest its just a hobby not some pressing scientific study to discover information we don't already know about.
It seems the ringers are more interested in what suits them and less about the birds welfare.

Complete rubbish, and as has already been pointed out being an enjoyable hobby and a valid scientific study are not mutally exclusive.

I do have a problem whereby animals rights are superceded by the selfish desires of human beings.

We are a few pages in now and you don't seem to have accepted any points made about the information gained from ringing, or why large numbers of a species need to be ringed (to give reliable results and because of the low recovery rates).

In the UK (I don't claim to know what goes on in other countries) data is submitted from Constant Effort Sites and ringing of particular species. This data contributes to our knowledge of these species. This is a scientific study, it may be a hobby as well, but its not "just a hobby".

Saying "the ringers are more interested in what suits them..." is at best a complete generalisation, and at worst is completely made up - from your posts it is clear you are not a ringer, you appear to be making assumptions about all ringers and their motivation based on a few blog posts you have read.

It is a free country, and if you don't like bird ringing then that's fine. But this thread is doomed to go round in circles if everytime anyone tries to explain that there are instances where it can be useful to our understanding of birds, you ignore it and repeat the "its just a selfish hobby" line.

Regards,
James

Pratincol , I have rarely read such daft comments as you make on here. You seem to have some strong objection about the best method ( for the bird ) of holding birds caught for ringing ( in a dark bag ). As for the ringers who caught 40 greenfinches and 27 willow warblers , why did they not catch more ? It would be better if they had several hundred , and then the chances of a recovery would be higher. But the hundreds and thousands needed to be ringed are all brought together by ringers all over the country catching their 40s and 27s. Only by catching very large numbers of passerine birds is a true picture going to be built up.

Your wording is bias and anti ringing using such phrases as “hanging bags on a hook “, what else are you going to hang the bags on , “ how long are the poor things stuck in a net “ I can tell you that less than 30 minuets , “ then a ring would be taken off and a new one put on “ that is a very rare occurrence perhaps one in 5000 birds, and only if the ring is worn ( most small birds die of old age before the rings become worn ).

Clearly from comments like “So If they catch a bird that is already ringed do they just leave it on? “How long would it be before the last bird is released after being taken out of the net if 30 birds were being ringed?” How long do you reckon they are trapped in the mist nets before they are recovered on average?” You have no clear understanding about bird ringing or the welfare of birds.

Pratincol wake up and live in the real world. Ringing in 99.9% of cases does the birds no harm , but the benefit to the population as a whole may be vital for the species survival . How do you think we know where different populations of the same species breed or winter or stage on migration. And how do we know what areas to protect to safeguard flyways ? By recoveries from ringed birds.

Be honest you just do not like the idea of a skilled and highly trained ringer catching birds. You seem to believe birds should be left alone , never studied and allowed to go extinct on our modern human dominated world. To protect areas for birds we need hard facts on their ecology and usage of the site. Go to any government and ask them to protect a migration staging point of say Canadian Knot or Spitsbergen barnacle geese and that government is going to want hard facts on the origins of those birds and how often they use the site or the battle for their conservation will be lost. If ringed birds prove that the knot or geese regularly use the site then you are in a position to provide those facts.

I have worked with birds for the past 45 years , created reserves , captive bred endangered birds for reintroduction projects and worked on industrial projects which at times we have stopped and saved the habitat for wildlife. Almost every day of my year is spent watching and studying birds and in the past ringing them both in this country and abroad and I have a pretty good idea about the stress ringing causes to a bird something which I doubt you have. There a few species have to be handled carefully , but the vast majority sit quietly in the hand while being ringed and as retrapping proves live normal lives in some cases being recaught many times into the future with the same body condition of unringed birds. I have even had some like goldcrests on being ringed sit in the hand for a moment before flying onto my shoulder to search for spiders under my collar. Does that sound like a stressed bird to you.

Last edited:
Not sure how much its benefitting the birds though, especially those 40 Greenfinch and 27 Willow Warblers I read about.
Do we not enough known about Greenfinches and Willow Warblers then?

Maybe ask the ringers what their objectives are, rather than assuming it's for "their own selfish reasons?" Perhaps things are different in the UK, but in the states I have never heard of anyone banding birds merely as a hobby, but rather as part of a research project testing specific questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back