• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Various ID's Set 1 Michigan USA (1 Viewer)

nemesis_318

These were taken sometime during summer or late summer.

Attachments

• DSC00655.JPG
    DSC00655.JPG
    381.4 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC00732.JPG
    DSC00732.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC01330.jpg
    DSC01330.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC01331.JPG
    DSC01331.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC08132.JPG
    DSC08132.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 134
2. Red-winged blackbird.
3. White-crowned sparrow.
4. Vesper sparrow.

Agree with Silverwolf here, and:

1) ...well... gull... my mind is going to strange places, but I'll at least have the sense to say can't be an Ivory because of the pink legs. (young Glaucous?) Between time of year, location and field marks I'm struggling here

5) Traill's - Willow/Alder Flycatcher

andy, peter,

i have considered american herring gull. but the mottling on breast as well as its whole structure looks off for that species. if it is so white on underparts it has to be a subadult (3cy+)smithsonianus. bill is not unmarked but has the typical large dipped in ink black tip - just not so well visible in this blurry pic and from this angle. the eyes are dark, unlikely for a subadult am. herring gull. and i think the depth of bill looks deceivingly exaggerated due to front view and the whole bird appears to be larger than it prob. is due to low angle shot. breast mottling actually is quite typical for ring-billed and hardly found as so distinct spots in american herring. bill base is cream-coloured/pinkish as in young RBG.

best,

I believe that number 4 is a Savannah Sparrow.

Would be interested to hear more details, its still a vesper for me. The clear eye ring and bold black streaks on underparts don't generally point in favour of savannah. Though its hard to judge, the cheek patch in savannah is normally pale with a darker outline whereas vesper is all brown (some variation in both species of course).

Well, here are my thoughts. Savannah Sparrows show a lot of variation, and some of the races are darkly streaked underneath, also creating a strongly marked malar. I usually don't think of Vesper Sparrows as darkly streaked, and would consider a strongly marked malar as exceptional on a Vesper. Vespers are usually low contrast.
I don't see the distinct eye-ring, although there is some paling under the eye; this can occur in Savannahs.
The underside of tail shows no white. Vespers should.
It looks like it has a pale superciliary.
Vespers tend to be longer-tailed. This bird is more short-tailed.
Just in jizz, looks like Savannah.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back