• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-browed Albatross (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
Over the past three years I have shamefully neglected sketching and drawing. This started when I got myself a 170-500mm lens for my DSLR and I now spend most of my time taking pictures of birds rather than drawing them. I suppose I found photography is a substitute for art and I love photography, so I am not going to give it up just because I have taken up sketching again. Having said that, though, I feel guilty about having neglected drawing for years and from now on I am going to at least try and sketch alongside doing photography.

Anyway, here's my first bird drawings since at least 2007 or 2008. In 2009 I went to Australia and spent a day on cliffs south of Sydney and watched albatrosses and other seabirds. I was supposed to have gone on a pelagic trip but this was binned because of the storms which had hit the coast the previous night. This was very disappointing because I would have got close views of the birds rather than long-distance shots. But, never mind, 'stuff' happens.
The drawing is of a Black-browed Albatross from photos I took from the cliff top and also from a boat on a whale-watching trip out of Sydney a few days later. As it's my first in years, it's as rusty as hell.

Attachments

• bb_albatross.jpeg
    bb_albatross.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 87
Thanks people. I am planning to do some 'from life' stuff once this rubbish weather we're getting clears away.

Btw, Tim, I bought your book which arrived this morning. I can safely say that it's the best book on bird art I've ever seen, it's definitely up there with John Busby's RSPB book. :t:

Thanks people. I am planning to do some 'from life' stuff once this rubbish weather we're getting clears away.

Btw, Tim, I bought your book which arrived this morning. I can safely say that it's the best book on bird art I've ever seen, it's definitely up there with John Busby's RSPB book. :t:
Thank you Fay - I hope it proves to be even a tiny bit as useful as John's work, then I'd be very happy. Look forward to seeing more from you as and when :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back