• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hard drive failure (1 Viewer)

andy wilkes

hi all, my hard drive has stopped working and makes a clicking noise instead,it doesnt register on my computer but inside you can hear the disc spinning, can anyone recommend a company to retieve my 160000 pics as they are not backed up, clever eh??!!!, many thanks andy

hi all, my hard drive has stopped working and makes a clicking noise instead,it doesnt register on my computer but inside you can hear the disc spinning, can anyone recommend a company to retieve my 160000 pics as they are not backed up, clever eh??!!!, many thanks andy

Kingdom Data Recovery, they have a web site.

I had exactly the same problem as you describe, they recovered all my photos and it only cost in the £120.00 region. Very good and helpful people to deal with.

PC World Know how data rescue service, you need to provide something big enough for all your data, external drive etc - £80.

Andy

before going down the recovery route, you should remove the drive and try it in an external caddy. It's possibly not the HDD that's faulty. I've recovered many a supposed faulty drive with this method

Good luck :t:

Last edited:
I second trying an external caddy first to try to copy the photos across.

If you then manage to see the hard drive but still can't see the files (eg Windows asks you to format the drive), recovery is still possible.
I've used PhotoRec before to recover files from a drive my sister formatted accidentally. But if you're not technically minded, use an outside firm.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Good luck.

Have you made sure it is simply not a bad connection between motherboard and disk as power is getting to it. Or CMOS settings to make sure the PC is recognising the disk.

Sometimes a good old vacuum inside the PC case to get rid of accumulated dust can work wonders

That is bad luck Andy. Hope you can get your photos back. Should be a warning to all, back up your work.

I have 2 external HDD, in addition everything is backed up onto blu-ray disc which holds up to 25 Gb per disc. One cannot be too careful.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back