• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is my mm4/60 faulty? (1 Viewer)

Fnagwaa

Hi, new member here, getting back into birding after a few years out.

I've just picked up an MM4/60 and I'm testing the sdlv2 and hdft eyepieces (prob gonna go with sdl as fov better, image a bit sharper and strangely bigger on max zoom?)

Anyway my question is that when using hdft I find I am close to the limit of the focus wheel when viewing over longer distances. If I hit the stop, even gently, the image shifts up very slightly, then shifts back down as I adjust focus back. Has anyone else experienced this and does it sound normal?

Thank you, Matt

Hi, new member here, getting back into birding after a few years out.

I've just picked up an MM4/60 and I'm testing the sdlv2 and hdft eyepieces (prob gonna go with sdl as fov better, image a bit sharper and strangely bigger on max zoom?)

Anyway my question is that when using hdft I find I am close to the limit of the focus wheel when viewing over longer distances. If I hit the stop, even gently, the image shifts up very slightly, then shifts back down as I adjust focus back. Has anyone else experienced this and does it sound normal?

Thank you, Matt
How does it perform with the SDL eyepiece?

How does it perform with the SDL eyepiece?

I have the hdf t eyepiece as well, got both with a view to sending one back. I will be keeping the SDLv2 as it has a wider fov, a flatter field and is sharper at the edge of vision. In addition the magnification is noticeably better at full zoom although both eyepieces are rated at 45x on the mm460, I will post a couple of images tomorrow if it helps?

The HDF still produces a lovely sharp image and opticron advise that it was the donor eyepiece for the mm4 but the SDL is definitely better.

Only downsides to SDL it's a little heavier which makes the scope more front heavy, it looks a little bigger when fitted (no big deal, especially with waterproof cover on) and I have to adjust the twist out eyecup when zooming in to get max fov, again no big deal.

Let me know if you'd like me to post images? (taken handheld as not got adapter yet but still give you a good comparison)

Last edited:
Hi Matt

Your MM4 with an HDF zoom should have plenty of focus travel towards/beyond infinity and there shouldn't be any image movement as you hit the focus "stop".

My colleagues in our service department recommend getting the scope back to us to be checked over. Details on how to do so are here:

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/service_and_repair.htm

If you have any questions, please call the service department - 01582 726522, select option 1.
HTH

Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete

Many thanks for your reply.

I have decided to keep the sdl eyepiece as it gives a larger, sharper image. It also gives me lots of focus beyond infinity so hitting the stop won't be an issue. Plus I wouldn't want to be without the scope while it's being looked at as I use it nearly every day!

Kind regards

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back