• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Faulty CF Reader? (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Recently I bought a Jessop's USB Compact Flash card reader. Having got Windows ME it should be a case of plug and play. However, when I booted up my computer a few times the drive (F) didn't even show and the USB symbol in the bottom right menu bar didn't show either.

I resorted to loading the USB driver which should be uneccessary and this seemed to fix it but the problem is cropping up again. Some times the drive is there but a lot of the time it doesn't even exist.

Is it a faulty card reader, USB cable or something I need to do?

I have Windows XP and sometimes I have to unplug the USB and replug it back in before it recognises that it is there.

Thank goodness, it not just me then. I have to do the same thing too. Bill Gates has a lot to answer for, always promising the complete and perfect package only for us to find all the glitches. Especially crashes!!

Could be anything where computers are concerned! You have to show them who's boss - then they seem to behave. They smell fear!

Just a further comment. I work in IT and it is because of this sort of problem multiplied a thousand times that most large organisations require huge IT support desks. Most of the time they just switch the PC off and on and the damn thing works.

Robin

Too true Robin.

Having worked in technical support myself, it's amazing what a reboot can do!! Some people think you are sending magic vibes over the telephone line.

Then again, there are the mystery problems you can never solve. All due to the fact that computers are a little like fingerprints - hardly any two are exactly alike in terms of hardware and software installed. So when something goes wrong, finding out what's conflicting with what is a definite challenge!

Perhaps someone could start a thread in 'Ruffled Feathers' covering the many and varied calls made to IT support ? My current favourite is the coffee cup holder.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back