• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ibis journal (1 Viewer)

DKR said:
Is Ibis regarded as Britains premier Ornithological journal?

Just curious.

Yes it is Britain's premier 'proper' scientific ornithology journal, in terms of its impact factor (a measure of the number of time the papers in there are cited by subsequent papers). In fact I think it may be the second highest internationally. Not widely read outside academic institutions, though.

Thanks

Docmartin said:
Yes it is Britain's premier 'proper' scientific ornithology journal, in terms of its impact factor (a measure of the number of time the papers in there are cited by subsequent papers). In fact I think it may be the second highest internationally. Not widely read outside academic institutions, though.

I see. Can you tell me how I can find out the 'impact factor' for all the various ornithological journals?

They're not easily available unless your in some sort of academic set-up, but try Journal Citation Reports. Have pasted the 15 listed ornithology journals below in order, with their impact factor. I don't understand exactly how IFs are calculated, but they roughly represent the mean number of times each paper published is cited by others in the next two years.

1 AUK 1.673
2 J AVIAN BIOL 1.658
3 CONDOR 1.433
4 IBIS 1.206
5 J ORNITHOL 0.846
6 ORNIS FENNICA 0.738
7 BIRD STUDY 0.729
8 EMU 0.722
9 OSTRICH 0.617
10 ARDEA 0.525
11 J FIELD ORNITHOL 0.509
12 BIRD CONSERV INT 0.500
13 J RAPTOR RES 0.462
14 WATERBIRDS 0.381
15 WILSON BULL 0.255

Smashing

Docmartin said:
They're not easily available unless your in some sort of academic set-up, but try Journal Citation Reports. Have pasted the 15 listed ornithology journals below in order, with their impact factor. I don't understand exactly how IFs are calculated, but they roughly represent the mean number of times each paper published is cited by others in the next two years.

1 AUK 1.673
2 J AVIAN BIOL 1.658
3 CONDOR 1.433
4 IBIS 1.206
5 J ORNITHOL 0.846
6 ORNIS FENNICA 0.738
7 BIRD STUDY 0.729
8 EMU 0.722
9 OSTRICH 0.617
10 ARDEA 0.525
11 J FIELD ORNITHOL 0.509
12 BIRD CONSERV INT 0.500
13 J RAPTOR RES 0.462
14 WATERBIRDS 0.381
15 WILSON BULL 0.255

Thanks. I'll see if the library people at work can get me access to Ibis.

Most university libraries (at least in Denmark) either have them all or are able to get them from other libraries upon request and I'll guess it's the same in Britain. Note that subjects to some extent are divided between them (e.g. Wilson Bull. mainly deals with American Ornithology). For some of the older articles (pre-2000) it's always worth checking SORA, although mainly "American" journals:

http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/

However, it should be noted that most articles in these journals are written by scientists for scientists, so there's rarely any attempt in making it understandable or "digestible" to anybody else.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back