• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Christmas Cards (1 Viewer)

kas

Has anyone bought or received any nice Bird Christmas cards?
I bought the Robin one from Cancer research, and received the Snowy Owl one from a freind.

Attachments

• cards 002.jpg
    cards 002.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 109
  • cards 008.jpg
    cards 008.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 97
Nice cards, especially the Robin. I have bought some Christmas cards from the R.S.P.B., they have Blue Tit,Tree Sparrow and Chaffinch pictures on them.
They will make a change from the usual Christmas tree/Bells cards.

I "make" my own birdie Christmas cards each year. I buy what are called "photo cards" at Wal-Mart and insert my own 4 x 6 photo. Some of the photo cards are blank inside and others have a pre-printed message and they come with envelopes. Cheaper than buying commercial ones and a lot more personal (IMHO, of course). ;) Here's the one I sent out last year. The black-looking lines inside the red borders are actually gold; don't know why they scanned as black, but you get the idea.

The cards cost 10 for $2.88 and the photo reprints are 12 cents each, plus 37 cents for postage = 77 cents per card to mail out. The money I save goes to my favorite charity: My camera's film fund. ;) ;) ;)

Attachments

• 2004XmasCard.jpg
    2004XmasCard.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 132
Katy Penland said:
I "make" my own birdie Christmas cards each year. I buy what are called "photo cards" at Wal-Mart and insert my own 4 x 6 photo. Some of the photo cards are blank inside and others have a pre-printed message and they come with envelopes. Cheaper than buying commercial ones and a lot more personal (IMHO, of course). ;) Here's the one I sent out last year. The black-looking lines inside the red borders are actually gold; don't know why they scanned as black, but you get the idea.

The cards cost 10 for $2.88 and the photo reprints are 12 cents each, plus 37 cents for postage = 77 cents per card to mail out. The money I save goes to my favorite charity: My camera's film fund. ;) ;) ;)

Great Idea and such a good pic.

Thanks, ladies. :t: When living in CA, I used whales or dolphins photos I'd shot. This year, though, I'm not doing a bird or any wildlife but a real-life cowboy riding in a snowstorm. (So I guess that's a kind of wildlife, huh? ;) )

Katy Penland said:
Thanks, ladies. :t: When living in CA, I used whales or dolphins photos I'd shot. This year, though, I'm not doing a bird or any wildlife but a real-life cowboy riding in a snowstorm. (So I guess that's a kind of wildlife, huh? ;) )
I really like that idea and will definitely be looking into doing the same thing next.

Katy Penland said:

Really lovely Katy and more so because you took the time to make them yourself. :clap:

Loved the Robin one too Kas. o:)

Maybe BF could make and sell cards using some of this (and previous years) December photo comp. entries - could give us all some nice Christmas cards to send and make some money for BF on the way... just a thought.

Katy Penland said:

Was he out birding?

We seem to be getting quite a few this year with the European Robin on, I think all our friends and relatives know we love birdwatching.

Saying that we have sent 2 cards overseas one to USA and the other to Malaysia and they both have a European Robin on. Well it has always been the bird that you associate with Christmas in the UK.

buckskin hawk said:
Was he out birding?
LOL, no. Birds were smarter than he was; they were all hunkered down for the day.

He was one of the Hash Knife Outfit Pony Express Riders who, every year, does the historic mail relay run from up here on the Rim to Scottsdale, AZ, stopping at all the little towns' post offices on the way. In "real life" he's a cattle rancher (aged 74) but he and a bunch of other dudes, about half of which are, or are retired, sheriff deputies saddle up to commemorate the first mail carrier service in the US. Any mail posted that morning from the post offices gets carried in their old leather saddlebags and specially postmarked.

The first winter I was here and heard of this, I decided to photograph the two riders as they handed off the saddlebag, only I hadn't counted on it being an almost total white-out snowstorm! Here he is in one of the shots:

Attachments

• HashKnifePonyExpressRider-BF.jpg
    HashKnifePonyExpressRider-BF.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 100
Katy Penland said:
LOL, no. Birds were smarter than he was; they were all hunkered down for the day.

He was one of the Hash Knife Outfit Pony Express Riders who, every year, does the historic mail relay run from up here on the Rim to Scottsdale, AZ, stopping at all the little towns' post offices on the way. In "real life" he's a cattle rancher (aged 74) but he and a bunch of other dudes, about half of which are, or are retired, sheriff deputies saddle up to commemorate the first mail carrier service in the US. Any mail posted that morning from the post offices gets carried in their old leather saddlebags and specially postmarked.

The first winter I was here and heard of this, I decided to photograph the two riders as they handed off the saddlebag, only I hadn't counted on it being an almost total white-out snowstorm! Here he is in one of the shots:
Neat story. I'd love to see it.

Look at the expression on the horse's face. Bet it is wondering why they are going this direction after all I bet it isn't the way back to the barn.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back