Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old Friday 12th January 2007, 10:03   #101
desgreene

Thanks for your support Debs & Tim. I'm really after a job like Dave's with a coffee machine and hot & cold running soy sauce. I think it would help my doodling no end!

Des.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th January 2007, 10:46   #102
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by desgreene
Thanks for your support Debs & Tim. I'm really after a job like Dave's with a coffee machine and hot & cold running soy sauce. I think it would help my doodling no end!

Des.
I think that particular job has already been taken by Ed, Des - although I've no doubt Dave has a similarly creative and expressive use for office consumables.
Good luck regardless!
Old Friday 12th January 2007, 13:18   #103
desgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwootton
I think that particular job has already been taken by Ed, Des - although I've no doubt Dave has a similarly creative and expressive use for office consumables.
Good luck regardless!
Ah sorry! Of course it's Ed who recycles the coffee and soy sauce, I should have checked back.

Regards,
Des.

Old Friday 12th January 2007, 13:40   #104
Dave B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed keeble
very congrats on both the tablet acquisition and the resultant gull

out of interest, is the water done with a spattery brush, or with a filter?

Ed K
Thanks Ed for putting me onto this wonderful contraption in the first place.

For the record, the water was painted in quite roughly at first using a regular brush (fairly large point size) and then using dodge and burn to bring out shades, then I went over the whole thing using an impressionist brush (though to my annoyance I can't find again the exact one I used!). Then I used the smudge tool to work a bit on the waves crashing against the breakwaters in the distance. It's all fairly rudimentary - I wanted to finish it in a hurry - but I am reasonably pleased with the result.

Thanks again,

Dave
Old Friday 12th January 2007, 14:11   #105
Dave B

Quote:
If I see any more work of THIS standard on this thread USING THIS GODFORSAKEN MEDIA, I shall simply have to burn my bra, er, brushes!!!! (What the heck, I'll burn both) - It's just NOT fair, so stoppit!

Er, um . . . .how much . . er . . does one of these tablettey thingy and er the whachamacallit . . the . . .er . .. pencil thingy . . . cost, exactly - ish? . . please.

Beautiful work Dave - and here's to beautiful work (note the clever change of context) for Des. Rootin' for you, mate.

A couple of links Tim that will provide you with some idea of the range and price of these things where you are.

http://www.tablet4u.co.uk/google.html

http://www.wacom-europe.com/uk/index.asp

I went for 9x12 (roughly A4-sized) as there isn't much price difference between that and the A5 size. I think that A5 would probably be plenty big enough for what I do, but I opted to play safe.

Ponder on!

Dave
Old Friday 12th January 2007, 19:57   #106
timwootton

Hi Dave,
Many many thanks (actually I'm quite surprised at how inexpensive the entry level stuff is). However the brilliant and ergonomic Cintiq has a tremendous promotional strapline - and I quote:

"The Cintiq 21UX combines the patented WACOM pen technology with the newest TFT (21 inch, UXGA) monitor in one device. With the pressure-sensitive, ergonomic pen, it's just like working with pen and paper"

The embolden and italics are mine, but it made me chuckle a great deal.

Just like pen and paper . . . . . for nearly 2000!!!"

(You know I'm having a jest, but I did like the parallels). But, seriously, thanks for the info - I may . . . erhem! . . . invest at some point (but not in a Ciniq - I clearly couldn't afford a substitute for my sketchbook).

Dave - If you ever get a two hour period free, as a huge (and redeemable) favour, would you please make a hand painted version of the Kelp Gull. I would love to see the difference.
cheers - tim
Old Friday 12th January 2007, 20:39   #107
Vectis Birder
Itchy feet

Hmmm. I'll think I'll keep any 2 grand that may come my way for trips and/or a Swarovski scope...there's some nice stuff on this thread, but I think I'll stick to pencil and paper.
Old Saturday 13th January 2007, 14:14   #108
Dave B

[QUOTE
Dave - If you ever get a two hour period free, as a huge (and redeemable) favour, would you please make a hand painted version of the Kelp Gull. I would love to see the difference.
cheers - tim[/quote]

Hi Tim

That's a bit of a challenge. For starters I think it might take me longer than an hour or two (I am a very slow painter!), but, ok, I'll put it on my list for this year - how's that?!

Dave
Old Monday 15th January 2007, 13:19   #109
desgreene

New job starts tomorrow, so last daytime doodle for a while. May have to resort to doodling in the dark!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lapwing3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	69160  

Old Monday 15th January 2007, 15:25   #110
ed keeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by desgreene
New job starts tomorrow, so last daytime doodle for a while. May have to resort to doodling in the dark!
Congrats on job and doodle. I have always taken the view that it is allowable to doodle on the job so long as combined with strategic thinking or other valuable work-related activities.

Ed K

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 15th January 2007, 16:53   #111
desgreene

Quote:
Congrats on job and doodle. I have always taken the view that it is allowable to doodle on the job so long as combined with strategic thinking or other valuable work-related activities.

Ed K
Thanks Ed. I think I may leave it a few weeks before testing out their attitudes to on the job doodling

Old Monday 15th January 2007, 17:36   #112
timwootton

Many congrats Des - also probably fairly wise to work your probation out before delving into doodle-induced lateral thought processes.
But doodling in the dark (sounds like something Bruce Springsteen might've written) is, I'm sure, one of the more theraputic and wholesome nocturnal activities .
Old Monday 15th January 2007, 19:25   #113
desgreene

Quote:
Many congrats Des - also probably fairly wise to work your probation out before delving into doodle-induced lateral thought processes.
But doodling in the dark (sounds like something Bruce Springsteen might've written) is, I'm sure, one of the more theraputic and wholesome nocturnal activities .
Cheers Tim.

Old Tuesday 23rd January 2007, 22:11   #114
ed keeble

Well this is all bit worrying..computer thread has gone a bit quiet and meantimes all manner fo real paintings and drawings are being posted..

maybe computer doodlers are still working away feverishly in the background

anyway, here's a Hawfinch work in progress just to keep some life in the thread (I see that the jpeg has gone a bit tiley on posting...not sure why)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	no2hawfinchmasterUntitled-1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	69954  

Last edited by ed keeble : Tuesday 23rd January 2007 at 22:15.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 23rd January 2007, 22:15   #115
turkish van
Number 1 celebrity badger

Erm... wow :)

How long have you spent on that so far?
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2007, 22:23   #116
deborah4

Quote:
Well this is all bit worrying..computer thread has gone a bit quiet and meantimes all manner fo real paintings and drawings are being posted..
oops! Guilty as charged

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....&page=12&pp=25

Excellent btw Ed - am feeling a tad limited with microsoft 'paint'!

Just noticed Des's Lapwing too - great stuff!

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 23rd January 2007, 22:58   #117
timwootton

Oi Mr. Keeble, Sir! - I DO hope you have finished that sculptural b-t diver off before lapsing into virtual paint! Although I do find this profile portrait rather fetchingly excelllent, I grudgingly admit. However maybe the viridescence is somewhat overpowering the beautiful artwork (perhaps drop the b/g into a subdued grey/brown for a bit of fun? what do you think?). Effing lovely - as usual, sir!
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2007, 23:01   #118
timwootton

Oh - It's just occured to me - Buzzard12 used to be a top animator in a previous life; combined with this standard of digital characterisation maybe we're onto a winner. I bags being Meglomaniac Chairman of the Board (not a soul singer, you understand!).
Old Wednesday 24th January 2007, 01:10   #119
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Some extremely fine works being posted on this thread,however..the thread title distictly says ''doodles for those who can't paint''

So,to address the fact that everyone here is far too talented for this thread, I feel compelled to upload another one of my efforts

..well it is a doodle,and I can't paint!

Matt,with the assistance of a rather pleasant cabernet sauvignon
Attached Images
File Type: bmp owl and robin.bmp (784.0 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by matt green : Wednesday 24th January 2007 at 14:07.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 24th January 2007, 10:02   #120
ed keeble

Quote:
Oi Mr. Keeble, Sir! - I DO hope you have finished that sculptural b-t diver off before lapsing into virtual paint! Although I do find this profile portrait rather fetchingly excelllent, I grudgingly admit. However maybe the viridescence is somewhat overpowering the beautiful artwork (perhaps drop the b/g into a subdued grey/brown for a bit of fun? what do you think?). Effing lovely - as usual, sir!
Good point on the vivid green- it's the background colour which I use so I can see where the edge of the bird is, rather than an artistic choice. So I didn't think to switch it off- when I get a chance I will repost with something more in keeping. (I see Dave B's plover acquired a rather subtle background shade last time we saw it.)

As for T Van's question about how long it takes- hard to say as these things get nudged along with a few hours here and there after work (not during I promise..) or over a weekend. So cumulatively, several tens of hours and plenty of fiddling about and changes of mind along the way. But if I was working to a deadline with no mucking about, this would (should) be about a 10 hour= 1 day job on photoshop...and if working to a deadline and doing it for a living, well I guess it would have to be a sub 10 hour job.

Old Wednesday 24th January 2007, 10:11   #121
desgreene

Lovely work - Ed
You keep raising the bar!

All the best,
Des.

Old Wednesday 24th January 2007, 11:50   #122
Atricapilla
Still Wandering

I wish I could really paint !!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	H.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	69984  
Old Wednesday 24th January 2007, 12:21   #123
timwootton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwoodcock
I wish I could really paint !!!!!!
So what's actually happening here, Bob? - Is it a photograph which you've manipulated in Photoshop (using stylize tools) or what? (Cos if it's a 'real' painting - you ought to be exhibiting!). I'd like to know what you're doing, please. Cheers - Tim
Old Wednesday 24th January 2007, 13:55   #124
Atricapilla
Still Wandering

Quote:
So what's actually happening here, Bob? - Is it a photograph which you've manipulated in Photoshop (using stylize tools) or what? (Cos if it's a 'real' painting - you ought to be exhibiting!). I'd like to know what you're doing, please. Cheers - Tim
Yes Tim, it's been manipulated with photoshop,I really envy people who can turn out something like that with real paint.
Old Wednesday 24th January 2007, 22:40   #125
ed keeble

Quote:
Good point on the vivid green- it's the background colour which I use so I can see where the edge of the bird is, rather than an artistic choice. So I didn't think to switch it off- when I get a chance I will repost with something more in keeping. (I see Dave B's plover acquired a rather subtle background shade last time we saw it.)
As per Tim's polite suggestion, here's a less virulently backgrounded version of the Hawfinch. I've kept a couple of stages along the way on this one and these are posted here along with a couple of others for anyone interested in the techniques used.

http://edkeeble.smugmug.com/Computer...ng%20tutorials

There must be something less lofty to call them than tutorials but that'll do for the moment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brownhawfinchmasterUntitled-1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	70033  

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: