• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow ID's, northern CA (1 Viewer)

Philter4

These photos were taken in three different locations just east of Sacramento Ca, the first one, on the chain link fence was in Orangevale, right on the American river, I never got a good look at it's chest to see if there was a band or not so I can't tell if it is a bank or northern rough-winged swallow, is there a way to tell from this angle?
d76113d4c914e14fd9d0386452f517ef.jpg

These were taken about 10 or 12 miles away, inland along a beaver pond, I see a very indistinct band and a white throat but the bank swallows I've seen in the past have had a very distinct band and much whiter throat and ear patches, any opinions?
bd856e621e8ea40632bc306df24796dd.jpg

ea770f5cdcbb691822f63c63dbe78bbc.jpg

Finally these were in a tree on the bank of the American River just north of Coloma in the foothills. I couldn't get a good chest view again, but I'm pretty sure these are northern rough-winged swallows, confirmation or proper ID would be appreciated, thanks.
bed25def122f168372da14f56e1970fd.jpg

f797097f330fb83f42e5ce87a1a7127b.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back