• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thailand IDs needed (1 Viewer)

Tonkin14

The first one (2 photos) looks like a parakeet. In flight, it appears almost neon yellow/green, with a longish, slender tail. The rump and belly are bright green, the rest mostly yellow, white cheeks(?). I observed this bird not far from Bangkok April 13 feeding on the ground and occasionally flying a large circle and landing back where it started.

The second one is small, shot on April 5 in Si Satchanalai Historical Park in Central Thailand.

The third is, I believe, some type of Fish Eagle, shot in Khao Sok NP, March 21, on the lake.

The fourth is another Fish Eagle (I think), also in Khao Sok, but a different section of the park, on a stream in the jungle.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_9103_2.jpg
    IMG_9103_2.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_9096_2.jpg
    IMG_9096_2.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8453_2.jpg
    IMG_8453_2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4728.JPG
    IMG_4728.JPG
    432.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4015.jpg
    IMG_4015.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 91
Thanks for the help! Yes, now that you say Sooty-headed Bulbul, it seems so obvious! I guess if the first picture is a Budgerigar, it must have escaped from somewhere? There are a ton of caged songbirds in Thailand, but I've never seen a caged parakeet. Anyone know what kind of Fish Eagle the last two are?

I would say Lesser Fish Eagle for both birds, although it's harder to say for certain without a good tail shot for the second bird. Khao Sok has both species.

Thanks for the help! I wouldn't call this a "good" tail shot of the second bird, but it's a different shot. Does that help at all? How do the tails differ?

Attachments

• IMG_4016.jpg
    IMG_4016.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 66
with those photo's, i also go with Lesser Fishing Eagle. The tail seems dark in those pics.

budgies are very common cage birds in Thailand.....many escape.

#3 - Sooty-headed Bulbul but the 'cap' seems more like a 'hood'. Hmm

#5 - Lesser Fish Eagle (tail pic the clincher).

#4 - no love for Pallas' Fish Eagle ? Looks a good fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back