• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (29 Viewers)

Fair enough Dave. If everyone at Upton lists on the same criteria, then I guess it makes no odds.

This is always the downside of listing - people use different criteria. This can vary from on/from a location as discussed above, UTVs (untickable views), heard only, trapped and released birds, counting unsubmitted / not proven "submission" species. Unless one of us develops into an LGRE style "policeman" there will always be degree of inconsistency and thats something we just have to accept.

Here are a few shots from today... not a bird in sight!

The waning crescent moon was my sole visible companion for the first 30 minutes or so as I sat on the Flashes bench this morning.
All fungus shots were taken on the North Moors trail. The first (Common Puffballs) were under the tree canopy and the others were out in the open alongside the path. Kudos to the recent work parties who have transformed this long-neglected area of the Reserve.

Good find Sy and like you say adds to the diversity and interest of that area.
B :)John

This is always the downside of listing - people use different criteria. This can vary from on/from a location as discussed above, UTVs (untickable views), heard only, trapped and released birds, counting unsubmitted / not proven "submission" species. Unless one of us develops into an LGRE style "policeman" there will always be degree of inconsistency and thats something we just have to accept.

Philip or should I say chief inspector Andrews8-P I thought your middle name was Lee :-O:-O:-O:-O
after all you are now officially the biggest twitcher at Upton :king:

Philip or should I say chief inspector Andrews8-P I thought your middle name was Lee :-O:-O:-O:-O
after all you are now officially the biggest twitcher at Upton :king:

I think you will find that its Mike who actually has and maintains the lists of some of regular watchers, albeit they are on a few scrappy sheets of A4 rather than on clever piviot tables loaded onto an Apple Mac!

I think you will find that its Mike who actually has and maintains the lists of some of regular watchers, albeit they are on a few scrappy sheets of A4 rather than on clever piviot tables loaded onto an Apple Mac!

Well that's the first time I've heard a reference to pivot tables outside of work.;)

id again please.

presume meadow pipit but not 100% cheers in anticipation. trace.

Attachments

• DSC06317.jpg
    DSC06317.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC06316.jpg
    DSC06316.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 86

Pivot tables? Apple Mac? Foreign language :eek!:

I think you'll find they are on excel spreadsheets. You don't think I create those with a pencil and ruler do you. :smoke: There might even, heaven forbid, be a few bits of formatting involved. |=\|;)

Exactly. Look no further than Sandwell Valley for a classic example of the latter point (counting unsubmitted/not proven "submission" species).

I'll leave you then to be the local DCI for Worcs ;). At this rate, the list master general will be out of a job the way you're ticking them off. I see his side kick has included you on his list of Veery twitchers, although with a slight name change: http://garrybagnell.webs.com/apps/blog/show/10352332-veery-twitch-all-aboard :t:.

Brian

Exactly. Look no further than Sandwell Valley for a classic example of the latter point (counting unsubmitted/not proven "submission" species).

I'll leave you then to be the local DCI for Worcs ;). At this rate, the list master general will be out of a job the way you're ticking them off. I see his side kick has included you on his list of Veery twitchers, although with a slight name change: http://garrybagnell.webs.com/apps/blog/show/10352332-veery-twitch-all-aboard :t:.

Brian

Good God - I wasnt advocating any one took on such a role or even that we actually need one; inconsistency is something that just goes with the territory!

Am still trying to work out the name of the real birder who hides behind the name of Garry Bagnell :-O

Starling roost flashes

We estimated about 2000 birds roosted in the reedbed between 2nd and 3rd flashes this evening.

Attachments

• Starling Roost Flashes 191111.jpg
    Starling Roost Flashes 191111.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 90
tags on flickr

The photostream is racing along..I have posted on there a note about tagging photo's before submitting..It's new to me too..but it needs doing to make the pool search better, only takes a second to add birds or dragonflies to the tag line..as I cannot create sets

I did about 90 yesterday that were not tagged (including my own) so if folks could have a look at that it will speed up there inclusion in the pool. Forgetfulelephants pics all seem tagged:t:

The other thing is, and this may happen to those using elements, that unuselful tags like.. elements, in focus, etc are best deleted as I think the most common tags wil eventually show on the page as a method of searching, which will be nice as it work then just be like a set.

there is a place to discuss it on our group pool if any one has questions

cheers

The photostream is racing along..I have posted on there a note about tagging photo's before submitting..It's new to me too..but it needs doing to make the pool search better, only takes a second to add birds or dragonflies to the tag line..as I cannot create sets

I did about 90 yesterday that were not tagged (including my own) so if folks could have a look at that it will speed up there inclusion in the pool. Forgetfulelephants pics all seem tagged:t:

The other thing is, and this may happen to those using elements, that unuselful tags like.. elements, in focus, etc are best deleted as I think the most common tags wil eventually show on the page as a method of searching, which will be nice as it work then just be like a set.

cheers

Congratulations on setting this up Mark! Great to see how quickly it is growing but probably wouldn't have expected anything else from U/W birders; we / they seem a pretty committed lot!

Like you I'm still learning about Flickr and your suggestions for tagging look good. Will do it in the future - it must have taken you a while to update the pictures so far.

cheers

Great effort Mark.

I've added a link to it on the UW Birding website here.

Brian

Bloody Flickr. Uploaded a dozen. Spent about 60 minutes with names descriptions and tags and promptly lost the bloody lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back