• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with binoculars (1 Viewer)

CliffMartin

Hello
I have been digiscoping for about 6 months now using a Nikon CP4500 attached to a very inexpensive pair of Pentax UCF 10x binoculars. I am happy with many of the photos I have taken, but sometimes I wish I had more magnification. I would like to upgrade my binoculars. Does anybody have any experience using binoculars for digiscoping(cp9xx,4500)? I would really prefer to purchase half a pair of binoculars. I know that sounds crazy, but do binos ever get broken or have factory defects that would make this possible?

Thanx,
CliffMartin

Digiscoping w/ binoculars

Before I was finally able to purchase my spotting scope I used my binoculars quite a bit for digiscoping. I used a Fuji Finepix 4800 with my Nikon Venturer LX 10X42's. The Fuji's camera lens was a perfect fit for the Nikon eyepieces with the eyecup slightly turned out. Though I would never win any awards w/ this setup, it worked great for getting those memory shots. I was able to photograph a Sharp-shinned Hawk eating a dove in my back yard this winter, and got this photo of a Night Heron earlier this spring.

I'm sorry I cannot reply to your inquiry about 1/2 binocs. I'd invest in a good pair of binoculars and adjust your digiscoping to them (see betterviewdesired.com for their recommendations for binocs in your price range). Good luck!

Jerry

Attachments

• nightheron.jpg
    nightheron.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 592
CliffMartin - Have you tried looking for a monocular? I had one at one time. It is effectively half a binocular, but made to be singular.

Thank you for the feedback.
As far as monoculars go, I haven't had much luck finding any. Perhaps someone knows of a manufacturer of high quality monoculars and could let me know.
How about cutting a pair of binos in two? Would it be possible to rig a focus wheel on both halves? Anyone with a pair of Swaros who wants to be a guinea pig, let me know. I have a hack saw.

CliffMartin - you might try the folks at Swarovski directly to see if they would give you a pair to cut in half. I'd ask them myself, but some stupid little restraining order prevents me from doing so.
Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back