• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (2 Viewers)

Congrats on the Waxwings Dave. If it's taken you that long to see them, then there's still hope

Popped over to Elvaston Reserve after work today, very quiet. Perhaps it's that time of year when a lot of the birds have moved into town?

Nice bonus at the end though was a Little Egret. Have seen them a few times before wading. This one was perched on a branch about a foot above the water, scanning for prey below. Like a ridiculously big Kingfisher

As I arrived down Wyver this morning there was a little commotion in the near right hand side of the main pool. One of the Bitterns had got a fish and one of the Herons wanted it. The Bittern was having none of it and quickly swallowed its prey and left the Heron to fly off.

Presumably the female Peregrine from the mill flew straight through early morning. A male Sparrowhawk upset the 7 Lapwings resting on the island.
On the main pool was 19 Wigeon, 6 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, 8 Tufted Ducks, 6 Goosanders, 53 BH Gulls and a Common Gull.

Song Thrush can be hard to come by down Wyver so the 4 I had today was a very good count. 1 was near the hide and 3 near the top marsh. A flock of c70 Finches flew over the main pool. They were mainly Siskins although I couldn't rule out other birds.

A couple of birders reported having Waxwings again on the lane so It looks like a small flock could be hanging about.

Also of note was a Hare on the old tip field. That's the 3rd time in a fortnight I've had one there.

The berry laden bushes at McDonalds have been stripped bare so I doubt the Waxwies will be there again.

Mr Brown now has Bewick's Swan for his bus list. The family party that was at Twyford the other weekend are now in a flooded field between Willington and Repton.

hi ..anyone know if the mealy redpoll is still at darley abbey ..is it easy to find ive never been?

All I can tell you is what's on Rod Key's page yesterday.
R.DERWENT, DARLEY PARK A Mealy Redpoll in alders in a mixed flock of c250 Siskin, Lesser Redpoll amd Goldfinch on 13th Feb.

hi leigh if you read back the posts on here you will find your answer to number 2 of your questions, and the waxwings movements are unpredictable each winter they relie on their food supply if that is in short supply or depleted where they originate from in northern europe then there is a good chance you will see them here over the winter months feeding off what berries they can find to eat.

i went to darley to look for the redpoll i think i was in the right spot 1 siskin though and lots of activity but not the 250 siskin so i presumed they ve all moved on. got the bewicks near willington this afternoon ..

Good day out in Derbyshire today. Male smew showing well but distant at Locko Park. No bittern(s) at Wyver though. Pochard was resplendent in great light. Dave thanks for your help with the hide!
Onto Wragg's Quarry at Beeley Moor for the Great-Grey Shrike which was showing well, but not close. Fairly active and moving around. Wonderful in great light again.
No waxwings anywhere though.

Phil

Locko Park

Hi All

My first ever visit to LP ... sunshine, a favourite species of mine (and, I know, of many other birders), a great location and all-in-all a very enjoyable couple of hours or more !
As 'hampers' has said, the drake Smew was always on the far side of the water, but it did come a fraction closer when it was alongside what looks like a spill-weir (experienced Locko-ites will correct me if I am wrong) as shown in one of these digiscoped record-shots.
If you have not seen it yet, I can recommend this bird - though earlier in the morning is best for closer views I am told ... "before the cars and dogs etc. come down the lane".

Cheers

Andy R.

Attachments

• 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 61
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 51
How often does it happen? You wait 11 years for a site tick then you see them twice within a few days. I refer of course to Waxwings. After seeing about a dozen on Tuesday I saw a flock of 24 near the hide this afternoon. A few were even dropping down to the edge of the rushes to drink from small pools that have been formed. I got a couple of dodgy photos in the fading light.

Prior to this us birders were treated to exceptional views of one of the Bitterns on the bank near the channel to the right of the main pool. Then at the same time the 2nd bird showed quite well to the right of the island.

The Oystercatchers' mate has now returned and they were busy doing what they have to do to produce more Oystercatchers. The roost held 19 Goosanders and 6 Snipe flew over.

Attachments

• SNV30077.JPG
    SNV30077.JPG
    354.6 KB · Views: 32
  • SNV30092.jpg
    SNV30092.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 41
  • SNV30095.jpg
    SNV30095.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 47
  • SNV30100.jpg
    SNV30100.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 40
  • SNV30103.jpg
    SNV30103.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 42
Half decent day at Carsi yesterday. I met up with Roger who had aready noted Skylarks moving overhead, over the next few hours we totaled 24 mainly north.
From Sheepwash car park I had a Brambling over east.
7 Oycs are now back on site, including the one with barcode type ring, which has returned for at least its 6th year.
Brown Ale bay held Kingfisher and Grey wagtail.
During the afternoon 4 GN Divers could be seen from Sheepwash, but Stones Island would have provided excellent views.
At around 15:00hr an ad Med Gull was showing well from Sheepwash.
Quite a few showy Goldeneye from Sheepwash, with the males looking glorious displaying in the bright conditions.
6 Buzzard up together over the east side, also 2 Sprawk and 2 Raven.

well sadly the drake smew seems to have moved on to other waters from locko park since yesterday, i can only say i was lucky enough to see this bird last saturday for the first time here along with other lucky birders during part of its stay.

Went up to carsi this morning and was amazed to see gulls standing on ice infront of Lane end! I really didn't think it was that cold.
Anyway 3 GND seen from Sheepwash, Grey Wag, Kingfisher and Sparrowhawk also.
I walked to Lane end to view the gulls, mainy Black headed and Common but also 1 Yellow legged and 1 immature GBBG.
Anoyingly there were a couple of ringed gulls but i couldn't get any detail.
A couple of Skylark moving through also.
The ice was gone by mid day.

Unusually both Bitterns were in the channel to the right of the main pool down Wyver today. I've only ever seen the one in there so 2 is quite interesting. I didn't actually see them both but a few birders did. Apparently there was a bit of a skirmish between them before they both skulked off into the reeds.

9 species of duck seen today. Mallard (43), Mandarin (5), Wigeon (33), Teal (12), Shoveler (2), Gadwall (6), Tufted Duck (10), Pochard (2) and Goosander (18).

Water Rail heard, 2 Oystercatchers, 6 Snipe, 2 Little Owls, 350 BH Gulls and 2 Common Gulls.

Only 1 Bittern was seen down Wyver today and that was being very elusive in the channel to the right of the pool. It was seen around 11.30hrs for about 15 minutes.

Wildfowl was again well represented. 43 Mallards, 14 Mandarin, 25 Teal, 47 Wigeon (best count for 3 years), 2 Shoveler, 6 Gadwall, 16 Tufted Ducks, 2 Pochard, 20 Goosanders.

2 Oystercatchers still, 31 Lapwings and 4 Snipe, 420 BH Gulls, 5 Common Gulls, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, 4 Stock Doves, and 2 Reed Buntings inc one male in sub song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back