• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

Flamborough enough said? I presume you're meaning with regards the lack of news; well that might be the case with one or two individuals still birding here, but they are now very much in the minority. Today's news includes two or three of both Firecrest and Yellow-browed Warblers (Old Fall has had both today), a Woodlark near the Golf Course, a Hawfinch near the Lighthouse and three Black Redstart. I don't have many more details unfortunately, as I've been at work, but there's clearly a great deal of potential over forthcoming days and plenty of habitat to get stuck into.

Cheers

Get onto Facebook Jim, look for the Yorkshire Birders 2011 page and ask to join.
Andy Hood from Flamborough posts regularly in there. There's a nice shot of a Pallas's warbler that he took yesterday.

Trying to get an idea of where on the east coast is worth a visit at the moment, Scarborough birding way out of date, FBOG seems a waste of time and Flamborough, enough said. Imagine each of these groups want reports from visitors so why be so miserly with the info?

Squinting at the picture through almost closed eyes sharpens it up a bit and I'd go along with godwit, wouldn't want to call which though.

The bird squat is def. a Snipe and using size comparison then the bird at the back has to be a Godwit espec. with that beak......

Squinting at the picture through almost closed eyes sharpens it up a bit and I'd go along with godwit, wouldn't want to call which though.

Many thanks for the help Keith also joespy and upton-till-i-die (phil) still new to this game its my first year so need all the help i can get. B :)

Try and get along to one of the wader walks they do from time to time at Blacktoft. They can be very rewarding.

I'd also heartily recommend Paul Doherty's DVD Waders, 2 discs and a shedload of waders shown. It's worth watching these with the colour balance knocked back to black and white as this really focuses on the jizz of the birds.

Many thanks for the help Keith also joespy and upton-till-i-die (phil) still new to this game its my first year so need all the help i can get. B :)

Hi Andy
how do you get to old fall and south landing?
blog 5star as usual!!

Go to Bridlington, take the Flamborough road B1255 and take a right turn onto Lighthouse road just before you get to Flamborough village, by the church. At the first crossroads, take a right for South Landing, or straight on for the lighthouse. Old Fall is a copse roughly a hundred yards or so away from the road just before you reach the lighthouse car park. Park up by the liughthouse and walk back the way you came on the LH side of the road, you'll reach a footpath going south, follow this and you'll find Old Fall.

Go to Bridlington, take the Flamborough road B1255 and take a right turn onto Lighthouse road just before you get to Flamborough village, by the church. At the first crossroads, take a right for South Landing, or straight on for the lighthouse. Old Fall is a copse roughly a hundred yards or so away from the road just before you reach the lighthouse car park. Park up by the liughthouse and walk back the way you came on the LH side of the road, you'll reach a footpath going south, follow this and you'll find Old Fall.

Many thanks Keith the info and help are very much appreciated.

Todays efforts

Thanks to Keith i managed to find old fall, met a fellow birder who told me where the yellow browed warbler was sighted, went down and bumped into two guys who had just finished ringing,told me exactly where to stand and bingo two minutes later it was right in front of me, fantastic little bird sadly no decent pic as it stayed for less than a minute very flighty.Started on Filey Brigg it was blowing a hoolie!!! god knows how i got the semi stable shots below.

Attachments

• a1a.jpg
    a1a.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 69
  • a2a.jpg
    a2a.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 70
  • a3a.jpg
    a3a.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread

Back