• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring is in the air... (1 Viewer)

JMikeB

Or some local Magpies think. This morning it is foggy and 1°C yet a pair of Magpies are busy nest building near the small feeding station I have set up at work nr Wigan. The nest is approx one third finished.

It is not long since I saw a Wood Pigeon sitting on eggs nr Wigan, at Martin Mere last Saturday I saw Mallards mating and also some very young Mallard ducklings.

Anyone else seeing signs that the birds are already preparing for warmer days?

JMikeB said:
Or some local Magpies think. This morning it is foggy and 1°C yet a pair of Magpies are busy nest building near the small feeding station I have set up at work nr Wigan. The nest is approx one third finished.

It is not long since I saw a Wood Pigeon sitting on eggs nr Wigan, at Martin Mere last Saturday I saw Mallards mating and also some very young Mallard ducklings.

Anyone else seeing signs that the birds are already preparing for warmer days?

Mike,
Corvids are known for being early nesters. What I have found strange lately is that in the last 2 years I have had blackbirds singing at 3 o'clock in the morning in january. There seems to be an increasing collection of birds singing before dawn in towns and at odd times of year.
regards,
Paul
http://www.birdlist.co.uk

pabs said:
Mike,
Corvids are known for being early nesters. What I have found strange lately is that in the last 2 years I have had blackbirds singing at 3 o'clock in the morning in january. There seems to be an increasing collection of birds singing before dawn in towns and at odd times of year.
regards,
Paul
http://www.birdlist.co.uk

Thanks for the info Paul - I wasn't aware of that.

Rgds

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back