• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another unkown creature (1 Viewer)

I think the vertical hair tufts are too pale for it to be the caterpillar of the Vapourer, I am at work at the moment so I would have to guess at Oag Eagger.

My guess would be Dark Tussock, but will have to confirm this evening when I get home from work.

CJW said:
Yes, it does.

Yep, vapourer - red tufts on blue grey background indicate that. Four dorsal tufts unusually grey though perhaps because of background colour?
Great shot. Found out this morning that it is these guys that give the moth its name, from thier habit of climbing upwards as soon as they hatch, and releasing silk to balloon into the air - thus evaporating from the plant.
James

Thanks for all the replies.

I was suprised to find that it is supposed to be dangerous, (according to the web news report I found). :eek!: My kids had found it in their sand pit, we lifted out on the leave so as not to damage it. We left it in an apple tree and our garden.
Thanks,
David

Hello DavidL,
I agree with the Vapourer ident, The yellow tufts often fade late in each larval instar.

The only danger that some people suffer when handling these and other hairy larvae, is from the hairs. These can, in people with a sensative skin cause a rash, and a feeling similar to that you get when handling Stinging Nettle. The Rule if you have sensative skin is to wear surgical gloves when handling them. Then wash your hands with the gloves still in place, that way you will dispose of the hairs down the sink, before removing the gloves.

Harry Eales.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back