• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

King Of Beasts! (1 Viewer)

That biathalon stuff is interesting.........hmmm :h?:

Back in the day :smoke: when I was roaming the badlands :storm: south of the border, and involved with aaaaarr......'problem solving' :gn: we were taught by a veteran 'slinger (I 'spose longevity somehow equates with gold medals in a different arena! |:p|) that the steadiest way to.......ahem, 'proceed' was to pause upon exhalation at the end of the breathing cycle.........'course this only gives you a handful of seconds before you have to start the whole cycle again, but seems to work well.

As far as bino's go, I think a close encounter with a peregrine, or as Brock discovered, a big RTH, can tend to throw such practised and mastered techniques right out the window!

Also while extra mass, well balanced about the centroid can help inertially damp vibrations, in the end you can't out fox ol' F=ma (gravity seriously sucks....as a recent involuntary 10ft excursion under its influence B :) rather painfully demonstrated to me).........ya cannae change the laws of physics captain.....2:23
This no doubt contributes to the spate of divorcings of 10-12x wives, after the day to day grind dulls the lure of the intially intoxicatingly lustful 10-12x mistress....

Gotta say, I love all this :king: OB stuff - LMAO....

Better be careful not to let the 8x56 missus catch you perving on some hot little 10x50 Austrian number!!

Chosun :cool:

Last edited:
If you wish to lower your heart rate you can also stick your head under water as this will elicit the diving response. Diving animals slow their pulse to increase dive time. We are the only apes who have a diving response.
You can use your waterproof binos to view diving birds so long as you do not dive below 5m or 4m if you have Swarovski's.
Happy viewing Ben.

We are the only apes who have a diving response.

Now, this is new to me. Very interesting! Do you have a reference?

BTW some of the Steiner marine bins are waterproof up to 10m. I've read in some instruction manuals of different manufactorers though that the device is waterproof but not suitable for under water use, IMSMR. :h?: Haven't tried it by myself so far.

Steve

Humans are definitely the only great ape which shows a diving response, and if I remember my old zoology lectures correctly we are the only primate.
The diving response and our nakedness were used to support the aquatic origin hypothesis for human evolution.
I do not have a reference but you should be able to find out about the diving response in any good comparative vertebrate physiology textbook.
Ben.

Humans are definitely the only great ape which shows a diving response, and if I remember my old zoology lectures correctly we are the only primate.
The diving response and our nakedness were used to support the aquatic origin hypothesis for human evolution.
I do not have a reference but you should be able to find out about the diving response in any good comparative vertebrate physiology textbook.
Ben.

http://starklab.slu.edu/PhysioLab/Diving.htm
One of many from Google.;) I never heard of this.

Ben.

That reminds me of a book "The Scars of Evolution", by Elaine Morgan, that I read about twenty years ago. It was extremely convincing on the aquatic ape theory, and explained a lot of the oddities of humans that aren´t shared by other primates (upright gait, bald bodies, joint problems, over-active sebaceous glands, breath control, and a curious propensity to spend large amounts of money on summer vacations by the seaside, spent lolling around in the shallows for no particular reason). I wonder what happened to the theory, and if it was well-received? It made a lot more sense than the "strolling out onto the savannah" theories, given that we´d have been predator-bait with a half-upright posture.
Sorry to wander off-topic. I´d love to see the Zeiss 8x56, but I´m rapidly losing the will to test new optics.

That reminds me of a book "The Scars of Evolution", by Elaine Morgan, that I read about twenty years ago. It was extremely convincing on the aquatic ape theory, and explained a lot of the oddities of humans that aren´t shared by other primates (upright gait, bald bodies, joint problems, over-active sebaceous glands, breath control, and a curious propensity to spend large amounts of money on summer vacations by the seaside, spent lolling around in the shallows for no particular reason). I wonder what happened to the theory, and if it was well-received? It made a lot more sense than the "strolling out onto the savannah" theories, given that we´d have been predator-bait with a half-upright posture.
Sorry to wander off-topic. I´d love to see the Zeiss 8x56, but I´m rapidly losing the will to test new optics.

I hear you on losing the will to test new optics. Over the past couple years, the only new optics I've tested have been the 10x42 EDG's, and except for less 3-effect, the views looked very similar to what a 10x42 SE with a slightly wider FOV and ED glass would look like. All others have been upgraded versions of bins I already tried or owned. If there's anything out there that's better, it's beyond my pay grade.

Elaine Morgan's theories are outdated. Today, it's a "known fact" that humans are closer anatomically to pigs than apes. Actor Jeff Daniels is a glaring example:

http://www.ultrafeel.tv/wp-content/uploads/image/humor/animals/pigman.jpg

Last edited:
Dang Dennis you actually had me looking at Zeiss 8x56 FL binoculars online today. I am one that would want the ultimate refrigerator/vehicle binocular for looking in my field and anywhere I wouldn't have to carry it far. 43oz. This is all Henry's fault.;)

Me too Mooreorless! I thought life was simple my pupil entrance is just less than 4mm so my choice of birding binoculars was either 8x32(30) or 10x 40(42). Not so from the very technical advice offered. I have resurrected my Zeiss 7x42s and will use them in favour of my Nikon HG 8x32. I was thinking of some new 10x42 bins but now 10x50 or even 10x56!

I started birding in my late 20's and could easily manage CZJ 10x50s (1Kg+)but now 35 years or more later?

I guess binoculars are both "tools of the trade" and/or "objects of desire" I would love to devise a psychometric test which places people on a spectrum between the two parametres. Lots of birders pretend to regard their binoculars just as tools of their trade but for many they are "objects of derire"
Where am I? I think towards objects of desire, 3 years ago I bought off Ebay some Zeiss West 8x30B porro binoculars which are exquisite, compact and light.

So sorry Dennis huge 8x56s will not be on my shopping list. Nor will 10x42s if my wife has anything to do with it. Whats wrong with my Zeiss 10x40BGT's anway - apart from no phase correction coating.

Robert: I shouldn't worry your Zeiss 10x40 BGAT doesn't have phase coating. My 10x25 Victory has dielectric and phase coatings; it's very sharp and clear, but I still prefer my old 10x40 BGAT for its nice big easy view. I have had many 'great' binoculars in my time, with my current favourite being a Nikon 10x42SE, yet if I was forced to have only that old Zeiss 10x40 BGAT and nothing else, I'd rest reasonably contented. Yes, I'd miss all the others (mostly Zeiss and Nikon) but there is something special about that 'ClassiC'...

Me too Mooreorless! I thought life was simple my pupil entrance is just less than 4mm so my choice of birding binoculars was either 8x32(30) or 10x 40(42). Not so from the very technical advice offered. I have resurrected my Zeiss 7x42s and will use them in favour of my Nikon HG 8x32. I was thinking of some new 10x42 bins but now 10x50 or even 10x56!

I started birding in my late 20's and could easily manage CZJ 10x50s (1Kg+)but now 35 years or more later?

I guess binoculars are both "tools of the trade" and/or "objects of desire" I would love to devise a psychometric test which places people on a spectrum between the two parametres. Lots of birders pretend to regard their binoculars just as tools of their trade but for many they are "objects of derire"
Where am I? I think towards objects of desire, 3 years ago I bought off Ebay some Zeiss West 8x30B porro binoculars which are exquisite, compact and light.

So sorry Dennis huge 8x56s will not be on my shopping list. Nor will 10x42s if my wife has anything to do with it. Whats wrong with my Zeiss 10x40BGT's anway - apart from no phase correction coating.

You should really check out the Swarovision 10x50's. Only 5oz. heavier than the 8.5x42's. Raptor and Waterfowl Nirvana! $2600.00 sdsxnnjnxx dollars!

Last edited:
I've got big feet and big hands too but some people think I evolved from neanderthals!B :) (They invented beer you know! It originated in the Neander Valley.)
Bob

I've got big feet and big hands too but some people think I evolved from neanderthals!B :) (They invented beer you know! It originated in the Neander Valley.)
Bob

These have been spotted in NE Pennsylvannia. Do you know who your dad is?

Attachments

• messinwithsasquatch_2-full.jpg
    messinwithsasquatch_2-full.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Theses have been spotted in NE Pennsylvannia. Do you know who your dad is?

No relation. That is a "Big Foot;" indigenous to the Rocky Mountains and Pacific Coast. He is probably visiting PA to test some Zeiss 8 x 50's at the Lost Creek Shoe Shop where he also can be outfitted with foot wear. If this is you, or a close relative, I will expect a review of the binoculars tested and your opinion of the footwear.:t:
Bob

No relation. That is a "Big Foot;" indigenous to the Rocky Mountains and Pacific Coast. He is probably visiting PA to test some Zeiss 8 x 50's at the Lost Creek Shoe Shop where he also can be outfitted with foot wear. If this is you, or a close relative, I will expect a review of the binoculars tested and your opinion of the footwear.:t:
Bob

Actually I hired him to carry my Zeiss 8x56 FL's for me when I go birding. Kind of like P Diddy has someone to carry an umbrella for him.

Dennis you messed up there was a Kowa Prominar Highlander on Astromart for sale with everything you needed if you really wanted one of the best.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back