• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (69 Viewers)

I'm beginning to wonder if they shouldn't lump them all.

And whilst they're at it they could do crossbills, and one or two other species as well.

Lesser/Mealy/Coue's may well form a cline with extremes readily apparent but a dividing line hard to find. It really is a similar situation to Crossbills. The forests that Mealies, and Scottish and Parrot Crossbills now nest in didn't exist until rather recently (when was the last ice-age, 12,000 years ago-ish?). What ever is going on with them it seems hasn't been going on very long (biologically speaking). Added to that both groups are nomadic allowing, at least theoretically, for brief periods of isolation and other periods of gene-flow.

And whilst they're at it they could do crossbills, and one or two other species as well.

Lesser/Mealy/Coue's may well form a cline with extremes readily apparent but a dividing line hard to find. It really is a similar situation to Crossbills. The forests that Mealies, and Scottish and Parrot Crossbills now nest in didn't exist until rather recently (when was the last ice-age, 12,000 years ago-ish?). What ever is going on with them it seems hasn't been going on very long (biologically speaking). Added to that both groups are nomadic allowing, at least theoretically, for brief periods of isolation and other periods of gene-flow.

It tends to be the other way round at least intially. Lessers fade from late winter and their plumage can become very Mealy like by spring. Later on, in the summer, as all the pale feather edges wear off, both, but particularly Lesser, can look rather dark. After the post breeding moult both initially have a lot of buff and brown in there plumage until the feather fringes and wingbars become bleached. Mealies are perhaps most easy to distinguish between say October and February.

The big problem with Coue's and Mealy is that no single feature holds. ID is based on the probability of a given bird showing a suite of more likely features. Both can have streaked or unstreaked rumps (though the latter is much commoner in Coue's) or at least appear to in the field, both have variable streaking on the flanks and undertail coverts (and even worn Lessers can appear to have un-streaked undertail coverts), variably marked ear coverts etc. Assessing 'fluffyness' of plumage also means assessing weather conditions and what other nearby redpolls are doing. Bill size is variable and an assessment of the position of the forehead feathering (sleaked or raised?) is required. A 'classic' Coue's with a big white rump, minimal streaking, small looking bill etc. can be very distinctive but these 'classic' birds may well not be the commonest plumage variation particularly 'out of range' birds where a higher proportion of young birds is likely.

Thanks...hopefully moving to new site...no white billed divers to talk about it seems!!
A very helpful contribution,,thanks!!
Paul

Hi Zing
Not a rare for me..see earlier posts, any further ..and I will have lots..post on 'Yorkshire redpolls' site. And if we get an Arctic, ..

Thanks paul still getting to grips with my kit let alone identifying the birds,Redpoll stuff is fascinating but feel i am hanging on to your shirt tails never the less very interesting stuff, keep it up.

Thanks paul still getting to grips with my kit let alone identifying the birds,Redpoll stuff is fascinating but feel i am hanging on to your shirt tails never the less very interesting stuff, keep it up.

Zing
U r a gentleman...I am no expert..trying to learn myself..doubt there is anyone who 'truly' knows about these birds...so lets move it to the thread I mentioned...
And those interested can follow!!!

Redpolls are seemingly passee on here!
I think they r interesting. hard to ID etc
And they r on my patch!!
Keep trying,keep posting, but onto 'redpoll' site..

Paul

But its fun...trying sort them.........and it hones ID skills....and hopefully we are learning more by the day!!

Last autumn...the pics I posted were between Lesser/mealy..now am looking for something more....Garry said to m e..go to northern Isles for Hornemanns...maybe he is right???

Good day at the coast yesterday. Hope these pictures have worked. Barn Owl, Sanderling and Snow Bunting. The Sanderling was one of a flock of about 15 that were running round my feet.

Attachments

• P2041113.JPG
    P2041113.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 88
  • P2041129.JPG
    P2041129.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 77
  • P2041136.JPG
    P2041136.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 102
Finally made it to the coast this weekend after deciding to leave it last week because of the weather.

Had one of those amazing days where everything went to plan starting with the rough legged buzzard at south ferriby then across the humber bridge shrouded in fog (very spooky) and on to spurn.

Saw the slavonian grebe on beacon lagoons I think somebody mentioned it a little while ago, also in a field with brent geese, curlews and black tailed godwits was a big ugly looking glaucous gull!

Then called at Skeffling where a walk along the bank found me 10 meters from a barn owl which flew up into a tree to ogle me.

Finally on to Welwick and while I was trying to determine whether the brent geese had pale bellies (they did), a male hen harrier came across the scope. I followed it along and it kindly flew over a post where a merlin sat preening.

A short walk later and a flock of a dozen twite flew over and into the reeds and I finished the day with a short eared owl all by 2pm!

Only down side of the day was that I only heard skylark and meadow pipit, both of which I need for the year.

Rough-legged - Old Moor

"showing well" per Birdguides................anyone know where you get one of those 'scopes and how much they cost?

Had a trundle round today, a bit murky early doors but clearing from West. Went to Fairburn hoping tom get into Lin Dyke hide and get some wildfowl up close with the water level being so high. Hadn't reckoned on the hide being used as a toilet last night and a huge turd in the corner stopped me from spending any time in there. Had a walk down Cut Lane the highlight being a scrap between two chaffinches. Lots of pairing up taking place, Bullfinches, Goldeneye, Mute Swans, lovely.

Went on to South Ferriby for the RLB, views distant but OK, it does hover for a long time. From there finished the day at Worlaby, 9 SEO was my biggest single count but there's plenty more there. Not bad.

Attachments

• IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Short Eared Owl IMG_0377_filtered.jpg
    Short Eared Owl IMG_0377_filtered.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 103
Waxwings at Designer Outlet, York 12/2/11

Dear All,

Just got back from York to Designer Outlet at about 4.30 today and found 32 Waxwings sat in the tree next to the park and ride bus! Some flew down then to a small tree nearer the centre and we got really quite close up to them.

However, I only had the phone with me (isn't it always the way that the best views are when you don't have the camera!) so the shot below is the best I have.

regards
Michael

Attachments

• Photo-0015.jpg
    Photo-0015.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 74
Snap Michael...see my post from a couple of Wednesdays ago.
It's always the same - either you get brill views and you've no decent camera or you've got a decent camera and the views are total sh...ugar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back