• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MDF Panel and preparation... (1 Viewer)

buzzard12

Just looking for some pointers on MDF Panel as it is a surface I think would suit my acylic work, better perhaps than canvas. Wondering what thickness is best and looking for the low down on preparing the surface for painting. i know gesso and sanding dowm are involved, wondering whether you sand by hand of with an electric sander...
Also, how difficult is it to cut, or should I have the guys at the hardware do all that for me?

I've just recently started using MDF and love the smooth finish. My local hardware store stocks it in various thicknesses from 3mm, 4mm, 6mm upwards. They have a big 'bacon slicer' type saw and they slice a 8' x 4' sheet up into 10", 12", 14" etc widths. The saw leaves a very clean edge. I stockpile a selection of widths. If I need a 12" x 16" board, I simply use a sharp knife and slice off the required length. A 8' x 4' board sliced up costs me a mere £5 or £6. Good value!

I give my boards 3 light coats of Gesso applied with a cheap sponge and sanded in between. I only coat one side of the board. There are however many different opinions on this subject - some seal both sides of the board, some won't use MDF at all.

It has great physcological as well as economical benefits. If your board has only cost you a mere 80 pence to prepare as opposed to a few pounds, you're not worried about making a mess of it. I find a new expensive white canvas a little inhibiting!

Just my thoughts,
Keith.

PS. In answer to your question, I sand lightly by hand, and use 3, 4, and 6 mm depending on the size. Smaller paintings on 3mm, larger on 6mm.

Keith's got it pretty much covered there. If you cut it yourself don't forget to wear a mask an cut it outdoors if possible, the dust is nasty stuff!

I've tried MDF a few times, the only problem I have with it is that the gessoed surface doesn't seem to absorb the paint at all. Instead it sits on the surface and slides about. It's very different to paper or the illustration board I use so it tends to throw me a bit. That said, it's a good surface for detail and I personally quite enjoy using it from time to time.

I'm all for experimentation anyway so give it a go and best of luck with it!

Woody

Hi - I know this thread has settled a bit, sorry for ressurrecting it, but I have a question I hope someone will take the time to give me a view on.

I've tended to work on canvas. However, now that I'm considering going back to more detailed work I have a stock of illustration board I can work through (unfortunately I descover CS10 is no longer available, board I used to swear by - so I'd be interested Woody in what you're using).

I know I should look at using MDF, as the illustration board will run out at some point, though the idea of sanding several layers of gesso before I can get painting is likely to have me loosing the will to live.

My concern is that it can end up quite heavy, I've been buying the left over bits that you pick up for - well I got a piece 30" by 20" for 10p once - and it's not that light; the larger you go: is the weight not going to be a problem?

though the idea of sanding several layers of gesso before I can get painting is likely to have me loosing the will to live.QUOTE]

If you apply each layer with a sponge or rag, and keep the layers thin, it won't take much if any sanding. It also dries quickly, especially thin layers, so you could be painting within an hour or maybe two.
Only my thoughts,

Keith.

I've been experimenting with mdf for a little while now and I do think it's a support worth investing a bit of time in and experimenting with - I mean, it's as cheap as chips so if you get it to work for you, then it'll have been worth the time spent. Also Lynne - use the 3mm stuff (if weight is an issue for you - it's quite stable even at large dimensions).
I really think the priming is the key ('scuse pun) to the workablity of the support.
I haven't mastered that yet!

Thank you, you guys.

Keith, perhaps I can face the exercise then. I know lots of artists use this as a support and describe the virtues of the surface that's achievable.

Tim, any idea what a maximum would be? I presume it'd need bracing over a certain size – I'm not actually planning to do living-room wall sized images – but are we talking 3 feet needing bracing? I think this is why some say paint both sides isn't it?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back