• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A detailed guide for N. A. waterfowl? (1 Viewer)

Progne Subis

Bird is the word...
Hello all,

I'm trying to find a guide that covers North American waterfowl in a detail oriented fashion, one that describes molt/aging, migration, plumage details, and the like. As there is "Gulls of the Americas" for Gulls here in N.A., I'd really like to know if there's a guide of that caliber out there that deals with Ducks etc.

If you can recommend any books, I'd love to hear about them...

Thank you!!

-Tayler

Thanks Tero. I found the first book at a local book seller. It seemed promising, but I found it to be fairly simplistic unfortunately...

The second one on the other hand looks pretty nice actually, but I've never heard of it or seen it any where... Maybe I'll try to track it down locally.

Well anyway, I appreciate the input... :)

Cool, thanks! That seems like a book worth looking into. I'll poke around at my local book sellers to try and dig it up...

I'd recommend the Madge & Burn book for wildfowl. It's quite old now, and could do with an update, but I think it's still the most detailed.

Waterfowl: An Identification Guide to the Ducks, Geese, and Swans of the World (Paperback)
by Steven Madge (Author), Hilary Burn (Illustrator)
15 dollars on Amazon, they have used sellers too

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back