• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North American Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Surprised to see my first butterflies yesterday.It was sunny about 14'c when
I went for an afternoon walk.Seen dozens of Compton Tortoiseshell's who were
gathering around a tree stub.Two Mourning Cloaks and one Milbert's
Tortoiseshell
hanging around thistle.And one what I think was a Eastern
Comma.

Attachments

• Painted Ladys.jpg
    Painted Ladys.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 101
  • EasternComma.jpg
    EasternComma.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Mourning Cloak.jpg
    Mourning Cloak.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Interesting variety of Painted Lady you have in Canada. Beautiful Mourning Cloak, I wish I get to see one this year!

Hi there, Darrell!!! :hi:

Just spotted this thread, loved seen some North American Butterflies, we don't see many in this Forum so it's great to see a report of sightings in your area. :t:

We have Mourning Cloaks in Europe (but we call it Camberwell Beauty here), and it's supposed to be found in my region but I've never seen one! :eek!: Lucky you, I'd love to spot it and take a picture, it's such a gorgeous Butterfly!!!

Hope to see more updates here soon, looking forward to more!!! :bounce:

Last edited:
Thanks Marian,

Morning Cloaks are very beautiful but hard to photograph.Will post sightings as they come,might be a while though has turned wintery here again!As you can see from previous post new at butterflies lot to learn but having lots of fun iding and photographing them.

Darrell

Saw four butterflies today, all distant, but one was identifiable as mourning cloak and another was probably milbert's tortoiseshell.

Lately I have been seeing Gulf Fritillaries (Agraulis vanillae), Buckeyes (Junonia coenia), sulphurs, probably Orange (Colias eurytheme), Fiery Skippers (Hylephila phyleus), Monarchs (Danaus plexippus), Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus), earlier this year I have seen many Red Admirals (Vanessa atalanta), Pearl Crescents (Phyciodes tharos), ladies (vanessa sp.), Gray Hairstreaks (Strymon melinus), Cabbage Whites (Pieris rapae), etc. :gh:

Seen a Mourning Cloak yesterday while biking and the day before a Eastern Comma sunning on a log,was about to get a photo when I heard a group of Brewer's Blackbirds calling in an nearby bush.When I looked back the butterfly was gone.Am I birder or a butterflier going to get a lot more crowded out there!;)

Seen a Mourning Cloak yesterday while biking and the day before a Eastern Comma sunning on a log,was about to get a photo when I heard a group of Brewer's Blackbirds calling in an nearby bush.When I looked back the butterfly was gone.Am I birder or a butterflier going to get a lot more crowded out there!;)

LOL, Darrell, I know the feeling, it's hard to attend two subjects at the same time!!! o:D

Fingers crossed for a next occasion without Brewer's Blackbirds! ;) :-O

Cheers!!! B :)

Seen a blue,a white and a sulpher on Friday.Can't give exact identification was not expecting to see any butterflies,was birding.:eek!:

Seen a blue,a white and a sulpher on Friday.Can't give exact identification was not expecting to see any butterflies,was birding.:eek!:

Yeah, I don't really pay attention to butterflies during migration either...
Have seen some kind of black swallowtail recently along with loads of cabbage whites, and a few blues.

Plenty of butterflies (and odes) around recently:

Black Swallowtail
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Clouded Sulphur
Cabbage White
Silvery Blue
Common Ringlet
American Lady
Mourning Cloak
Question Mark
Juvenal's Duskywing
Wild Indigo Duskywing
Hobomok Skipper

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back