Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 19th May 2017, 19:13   #1
Christopher Wills

lesser spotted woodpecker behaviour

We were delighted to find that we had at least three lesser spotted/s using our peanut feeders. In addition to two long standing nesting boxes for our resident coal tits we added a full sized woodpecker nesting box. To our dismay one rogue woodpecker set about increasing the entry holes in the tits nesting boxes totally ignoring the larger box When it was possible to get its head into the small boxes the rogue bird pulled the entire nesting material out leaving the naked newborn chicks bedless. Thinking I/d do the woodpecker a favour I started to enlarge the partly drilled hole in the larger box, unfortunately this has been totally ignored. I had to screw new fronts on the small boxes using laminate flooring board. The very small holes I drilled are still intact.

My question is does a woodpecker have to make it/s own hole before it will nest.

Regards Wilco.
Old Friday 19th May 2017, 19:57   #2
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Wills View Post
We were delighted to find that we had at least three lesser spotted/s using our peanut feeders. In addition to two long standing nesting boxes for our resident coal tits we added a full sized woodpecker nesting box. To our dismay one rogue woodpecker set about increasing the entry holes in the tits nesting boxes totally ignoring the larger box When it was possible to get its head into the small boxes the rogue bird pulled the entire nesting material out leaving the naked newborn chicks bedless. Thinking I/d do the woodpecker a favour I started to enlarge the partly drilled hole in the larger box, unfortunately this has been totally ignored. I had to screw new fronts on the small boxes using laminate flooring board. The very small holes I drilled are still intact.

My question is does a woodpecker have to make it/s own hole before it will nest.

Regards Wilco.
You do realise that Woodpeckers are predators and were aiming to eat those chicks.

It is possible to cut a piece of metal to shap around entrance holes to prevent this, looks like the end for your Tits sadly.

Are yo sure about the ID as Lesser-spotted? They're the sze of a Great Tit and probably wouldn't need to make the hole bigger.

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 19th May 2017 at 20:01.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: