• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 12x36 ISBs reviewed (1 Viewer)

Gary S.

Hi all:

I've just updated my review of the Canon ISB line to include a comprehensive look at the 12x36s.

For birding, I think most will see these binos are a bit of a good news/bad news mix. On the good side, the optics and stabilization are very good. On the bad side, the near-focus distance is kinda lame.

Thanks!

Gary

It was a shame Canon didn't maintain the close focus of the original Mk1 12x36's in the MkII's.

I would like to see a MkII version of the 10x42's in a lighter more compact body. Perhaps if that happened they would really catch on with birders.

Nev

It was a shame Canon didn't maintain the close focus of the original Mk1 12x36's in the MkII's.

I would like to see a MkII version of the 10x42's in a lighter more compact body. Perhaps if that happened they would really catch on with birders.

Nev

Bin design is a trade off so they traded close focus in the 12x36 for some other properties (I presume!).

And I think the best trade off in the line up is the 10x30 (as does the OP on his web site). It has decent FOV (6 degrees thought the 10x42 is wider at 6.5) and decent close focus (though a little closer say 10 feet would be better as I have it the close focus limit a couple of times though never with a bird).

The 10x30 is the one I'd like to see upgraded to be a birders waterproof compact (perhaps with ED glass to reduce LCA and improved EP design to reduce TCA like the big 10x42). And perhaps include rain-guard and objective covers (what an innovation!). This would enable them to use the IS designed for a 3mm exit pupil (i.e. the cheaper one) rather than downsizing the larger IS in the 10x42.

Perhaps the best thing about the 10x30 (apart from IS) is that it is very easy to steady (for me at least). Even without IS it's the most stable 10x bin I own. It's shape and compactness contribute to this so I'd like to retain those features.

I don't think they can actually make the 10x42 that much lighter. The 4mm exit pupil means all the IS optics is bigger. The wider FOV with larger exit pupil means the EPs are certainly bigger and more complex. The objectives are larger so they weight more. The bigger case to enclose the optics is larger (and perhaps has to be stiffer too) so it weights more. The waterproofing adds a glass blank before the moving objective. Even the small non-waterproof bins are "heavy" for their spec even excluding the batteries then a pair of AA add 1.6oz (50g or so) weight. Even the 10x30 weights 26oz perhaps 6 or 7oz more than a good regular compact.

I don't think you can do a lot about this. I think the trick is to wear a harness (and certainly replace the original equipment neck strap: I've even done that on the 10x30 and they're much more comfortable.

But you can add waterproofing in the compact without too many other changes. That I would like. Put it at $500 level (with slightly better optical design) and I think they could sell quite a few.

Last edited:
12x36 II IS functionality

..."I've just updated my review of the Canon ISB line to include a comprehensive look at the 12x36s."...

Browsed multiple net sources without success, and from you brilliant review I've got a feeling that only the 8x25 and the 10x30 has an IS button that has to be pressed continuously.
I wonder, on the 12x36, do you have to keep IS button depressed all the time, or has it got a continuous on after 1st press ?

You must hold the IS button down on the 12x36 IS II also but it's in a position were my finger would be when using them.

Thanks for clarifying, Joe. I took the chance to order a pair from a netshop and I'll have 14 days to test them. I understand the can vary from item to item.

autowider

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back