• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon IS Zoom Bins? (1 Viewer)

Well, I got a 15x50, which I wouldn't part with.....one of the most used in the repertiore (the armoring is coming loose). I maybe use the IS 1% of the time, 'cause it's the easiest hi-power to hold steady I've ever had, or tried (I have a 12x SE, tried a 12x56 Victory and a 12x50 BN at Astronomics-thinking I could upgrade the Nikon....neither were any better in any area-and got to use a 15x56SLC a little on a recent outing...even it had nothing optically on the Canon, except being ever-so-sligtly brighter, but was harder to hold still). There's something about the combination of that bulbous body shape and the weight that just makes that thing very easy to use. And I find the image is consistently better with the IS off. I consider the 15x version to have one of the best optical complements ever put into a bino for consumer use, even without the IS. It is very nearly as sharp as the big SE, and that is saying something (the difference is no more than a pudendal hair). I do, however, really wanna audition the 10x42IS.....have heard that is a real performer (with a 7 element ep, Canon-designed, it oughta be....).

Spyglass,

Where exactly is the armoring coming loose? And how long have you owned them 15x's?
I've had the opportunity to compare the 15x50 IS's and the Swaro 15x56 SLC briefly and found the Swaro's to be sharper. They had excellent balance too.
I'm thinking of buying a 15x50 IS too in the future, but can't decide before I've tried out the 10x42 L IS. The 10x42 L IS was reviewed by Jan Meijerink of the Twentse Vogelwerkgroep, and having read all his reviews of top of the range bins, I appreciate his thoroughness and value his opinion very much. The 10x42 L IS was submitted to his freeze test, several hours in the fridge then thawed rapidly, it was the only pair of bins that showed no condensation inside after this treatment. The Z-L-S bins all showed a little condensation. So apart from the excellent optics this is a strong plus for considering the 10x42 L IS. Plus the screw out eyecups. I've become so accustomed to the weight of the 18x50's I believe the weight of the 10x42's is something of a non-issue.

Regards,

Ronald

It's unfortunate the 10x42L objective clear aperture measures out at ~37mm. Kinda suprising for a flagship bin. The 15/18x50 and 10x30 seem to realize their full apertures however.

Rick

Yes, I've read about the diminished aperture too, somewhere here on BF.
I wonder why it's not 42 mm.

Still, when the Swarovision überbins 10x42 appear next year, I'd be looking forward to a comparison with the Canon 10x42 L IS, and I suspect, so are many others here.
That would be a real test of the IS system, IMO.

Ronald

Yes, I've read about the diminished aperture too, somewhere here on BF.
I wonder why it's not 42 mm.

Still, when the Swarovision überbins 10x42 appear next year, I'd be looking forward to a comparison with the Canon 10x42 L IS, and I suspect, so are many others here.
That would be a real test of the IS system, IMO.

Ronald

If you look at all other IS bins except for the 10x42 IS L, the largest exit pupil is 3.3mm.

So I was surprised when Canon came out with the 10x42 IS L, because of the 4mm exit pupil. That's what they need to attract birders and even more so with hunters.

It appearas that correcting "the shakes" in a larger exit pupil bin is beyond the current technology.

Perhaps 3.7mm was the best that Canon could do while keeping the correction angle within the acceptable range of people's tolerances.

If the 10x42 IS is actually a 10x37 IS, you've dropped almost a full configuration size, just above the Nikon 8x36 Monarch and 10x35 EII. Yet, you are carrying 2.3 lbs (w/out the batteries) near mid-sized bin.

I like the 10x30 IS (though it was the most stable out of several samples, the worst of which gave me nausea), but I found the 3mm exit pupil lacking on cloudy days, winter days, and while using the bin in heavily wooded areas.

From what I've experienced and read, there's sample variation among IS bins in terms of stability, and depending on how well you can tolerate the image "swimming" around the field, you might or might not be able to use an IS bin w/out unpleasant side effects (from merely annoying streaked or "swimming" images to nausea and headaches).

There's also the issue of the warranty. I think they are up to three years now, they used to be two years.

From what I read on CN, repairing an IS bin that is no longer under warranty can cost almost as much as buying a new one.

Many manufacturers of electronic consumer products offer extended warranties. I think Canon should back up their bins with extended warranties too.

If I pay $1,1000 for a bin, I expect it to last me longer than three years.

I realize that because of the electronic circuitry, Canon cannot offer 25-year warranties like Nikon or lifetime warranties like Swarovski (it will be interesting to see what kind of warranty Swaro offers on its IS bin), but they certainly could offer extended warranties for a reasonable price and stand behind their products.

New technology that would allow larger exit pupil configurations such as 8x32, 8x42, 10x42 and 10x50 plus extended warranties would help make Canon IS bins more competitive with non-IS alternatives for birders and hunters.

Well, Ron, if I remember right, I got the IS in about Apr of 03. Actually, it's only on the left side that it's loose.....the rt has the button housing that kinda stabilizes things over there. When ya grasp it firmly, you can feel the armor gap a little. But remember, this thing has been used a lot. The eyecups cratered after about 2yrs of use, so were trimmed level with the ep's (just enuf where there's still a neoprene contact with my specs).

I wasn't inferring the Canon was superior to the Swaro....it's just that in the tests I was able to do (i.e., reading boat registration numbers across one of the fingers of a manmade lake at a laser-rangefinder measured 830 meters-letters usually no more that 4-5" tall-one glass could do nothing the other couldn't do equally well, braced across the hood of my pickup.) I chose the 15x version after trying the 12x & 18x as well, because it seemed the best combination of aperature & magnification. The 12, I don't think had quite enuf aperature for really long distance use, and the 18 I felt just stretched it a little too much, at least on the targets I was able to try in about a 15 min comparo. It also has the biggest exit pupil, which makes it more pleasant to use. The Swaro I felt was at a disadvantage due to relatively short eye relief (about 12-13mm).

I bought it even tho I had the 12xSE because I was doing a lot of lakeshore birding (I'm 2 blocks away) and often upon driving up to one of the observing spots I wanted to get into action quickly. If there was a stiff wind or gusts, the 12 required bracing or I had to dig the scope out. The 15 could go into action right now, and the IS could defeat most of the weather effects. (So my scope almost atrophied from disuse).

That's my story.

Thanks, Spyglass,

15x seems like a good choice! I was out with my 10x30's today and wished I had brought the18x50's. On my local patch a juvenile Peregrine was sitting on an electricity pylon, I could just barely make out its ID. Ducks on the water were just a little too far off to ID immediately, I had to work hard even with IS on. I'm more accustomed to the inertia of the 18x's, I realised, and I got a little cramp in my fingers holding down the 10x's IS button.

This, and the aperture question of the 10x42's, leads me toward the 15x50's as a possible purchase in the near future.
Or Canon has to come up with a 10x/15x dual mag bin, which I do not expect in the near future.

Regards,

Ronald

Perhaps 3.7mm was the best that Canon could do while keeping the correction angle within the acceptable range of people's tolerances.

If the 10x42 IS is actually a 10x37 IS, you've dropped almost a full configuration size, just above the Nikon 8x36 Monarch and 10x35 EII. Yet, you are carrying 2.3 lbs (w/out the batteries) near mid-sized bin.

QUOTE]

Thanks, Brock,

I hadn't thought of that, perhaps Henry could shed some light on this with his vast knowledge of optics. As I found out today, 10x is too little magnification, I got all kinds of wishful thoughts about buying a scope, but I should just bring the 18x's the next time.
The 15x50's are 889.- euro's now and the 10x42's are 1049.- euro's; I much prefer the 15x's.

Regards,

Ronald

Actually, I'd like ta see a 12x50IS and a 15x56 or even 15x60.....the more glass out front the better. Keep eye relief at 15-16mm and afov at 60*+. I firmly believe that if Canon really wanted to, and determined the market for $1500 plus binos wasn't already saturated, they could design and produce "alpha" binos that would, at the very least equal, and likely surpass anything out there. Their lines of lenses are unsurpassed (now there may be an individual lens from, say, Nikon, Zeiss-Ikon, Hassleblad, etc, that may have a slight edge vs the competing one from Canon), and that can easily translate into bino excellence and inovation. Their IS system is far superior to the others on the mkt and their long experience w/UD (or ED if u prefer) glass & flourite, complex coatings (and credit here goes to the WW2 affiliation w/Zeiss in learning how to coat lenses), and impact-resistant chassis (learned from pioneering in composite camera bodies) would be a formidible competitor. But alas, with Zeiss, Nikon, Swaro & Leitz in the "alpha" strata, and several "near alpha" offerings it probably wouldn't be worth it.

As I found out today, 10x is too little magnification, I got all kinds of wishful thoughts about buying a scope, but I should just bring the 18x's the next time.
The 15x50's are 889.- euro's now and the 10x42's are 1049.- euro's; I much prefer the 15x's.

Regards,

Ronald

Get a Nikon ED50 w/ 13x-40x MCII zoom to complement your 18x. With proper techinique it is possible to handhold steady at fairly high mags.

cheers,
Rick

Get a Nikon ED50 w/ 13x-40x MCII zoom to complement your 18x. With proper techinique it is possible to handhold steady at fairly high mags.

cheers,
Rick

That would have to be the straight version, then.
Handholding it will turn out to be a disappointment but I could rest it on the saddle of my bicycle. I cycle a lot, the tiny Nikon would be hardly noticeable in a rucksack. Thanks for the suggestion, Rick.

I was on my local patch today with the 18x50 IS's and saw the juve Peregrine again on the electricity pylon; could ID it much better than yesterday with my 10x30's.

Regards,

Ronald

Actually, I'd like ta see a 12x50IS and a 15x56 or even 15x60.....the more glass out front the better. Keep eye relief at 15-16mm and afov at 60*+. I firmly believe that if Canon really wanted to, and determined the market for $1500 plus binos wasn't already saturated, they could design and produce "alpha" binos that would, at the very least equal, and likely surpass anything out there. Their lines of lenses are unsurpassed (now there may be an individual lens from, say, Nikon, Zeiss-Ikon, Hassleblad, etc, that may have a slight edge vs the competing one from Canon), and that can easily translate into bino excellence and inovation. Their IS system is far superior to the others on the mkt and their long experience w/UD (or ED if u prefer) glass & flourite, complex coatings (and credit here goes to the WW2 affiliation w/Zeiss in learning how to coat lenses), and impact-resistant chassis (learned from pioneering in composite camera bodies) would be a formidible competitor. But alas, with Zeiss, Nikon, Swaro & Leitz in the "alpha" strata, and several "near alpha" offerings it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Excellent thoughts, but don't shout it from the rooftops.
Maybe we will all be carrying camera's in twenty years time, instead of bins.
With 6x10 inch screens with 120 megapixels and 80x optical zoom, as well as Image Stabilization of course.
Maybe with a built-in birdguide who tells you what bird you are looking at, instant IDing, no skills required.
I hope I will be too old for active birding by the time that it is realized, it sure would take away the fun of birding. :C

Regards,

Ronald

That would have to be the straight version, then.
Handholding it will turn out to be a disappointment

I use the angled version with a small tripod or Gorillapod. Either way it is just a matter of configuring the legs to rest against my chest and tilting into the scope. If the wind is not gusting then just a matter of standing steady and I can zoom all the way to 40x, no problems.

cheers,
Rick

I use the angled version with a small tripod or Gorillapod. Either way it is just a matter of configuring the legs to rest against my chest and tilting into the scope. If the wind is not gusting then just a matter of standing steady and I can zoom all the way to 40x, no problems.

cheers,
Rick

Gorillapod! Of course! Great!

Now I seem to recall you posted a picture somewhere on BF of your set-up!
Thanks, will hold that in mind!
The flexible legs might come in handy to attach to a shelf in a hide.
Or to my bike saddle, even.

Regards,

Ronald

Gorillapod! Of course! Great!

Now I seem to recall you posted a picture somewhere on BF of your set-up!
Thanks, will hold that in mind!
The flexible legs might come in handy to attach to a shelf in a hide.
Or to my bike saddle, even.

Regards,

Ronald

Searched and found it! In camo tape, I KNEW I had seen this pic before!

:t:

Ronald

Why can't I find these bins on either the UK or the US Canon sites - or am I missing something here? an in joke? I currently use the 12x36 and love them but would certainly like to try something with a bit more reach.

I'm not! - even following your link - all I can see is 6 products, none of which are zoom bins. Not helped by being in a rush to get to work I guess! Thanks for trying though.

Nope, checked again, this time from work and on the page linked under Product Category it's set to Binoculars and there seems to be nothing else worth selecting. The Sub Category only has Image Stabilisation available and again I can only see 6 products, none of which are zoom bins. Moving the sliders simply reduces the number of found products from the initial 6.
Please tell me I'm being a numpty and missing something here!

Sorry my bad. Thought you meant you could not find any IS binos. Suggest you go back to the beginning and read all 36 posts prior to yours. It will alll become clear.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back