• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ-200 (1 Viewer)

Rainforest performance

Brilliant shots Randy. They are as good as any I've seen of hummingbirds. The third one is a stunner and the second one is the strangest hummer I've ever seen. Did you have any situations where the light was very low and if so, how did the camera handle that? When I had my FZ150 I took it to a rainforest area and it really struggled, that's one of the reasons I got the FZ200, but haven't tried it out in a similar situation as yet.

Hi Scodgerott,

I haven't really tested it fairly under those conditions yet. One of the problems I ran into initially is that the camera is so light and small and point-and-shoot-ish that I was tempted into using it as I would a point-and-shoot and not as a camera with a 600mm zoom. While it is undoubtedly easier to steady than a similar DSLR setup because of its weight, it's still not so easy that you can hand hold it at full zoom and in low light without shaking so much that the image is fuzzed. On a tripod, you might be able to achieve results that are the equal of its high light performance, but I don't really know yet.

In Singapore I came closest to testing the idea by bracing myself against a tree for some drongo shots (attached) that were not uber-crisp, but were much closer than I ever would have gotten with a full sized setup (shooting at 1/100th, ISO 400, full zoom). So I think there's potential, but it's not magic.

I also included a little spiderhunter that was shot unbraced, hand held, 1/15th, full zoom, ISO 400, in the understory. It may be a better example of the potential, as those circumstances would produce something like impressionist painting with a DSLR, but came close to actually coming out with the FZ200.

Oh, and I almost forgot- the 2nd hummer is a white-crested coquette, endemic to Panama and Costa Rica. Although I don't think coquettes are the strangest hummers in existence, they're definitely in the running. The frilly sideburns are odd enough, but the forehead plumes (the white crest; it sticks straight up when he wants it to) are downright weird.

Attachments

• Racquet-tailed drongo small.jpg
    Racquet-tailed drongo small.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 399
  • Little Spiderhunter small.jpg
    Little Spiderhunter small.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Given that with the fz18 I got the occasional shot at iso400 that at least was worthy of a record shot, I think you should look into what you could get with higher iso on the fz200. If properly exposed, they may not be that bad.

Niels

I am thinking of upgrading my FZ150 to the FZ200 and after reading through this thread I would be interested to hear peoples feedback after they have upgraded to the FZ200, I would especially like to know if there have been any major benefits apart from the improved low light picture quality.

I recently bought a Panasonic FZ-200, mainly to compliment my DSLR and as a lightweight travel camera. Image quality and manual controls are very handy and I am enjoying using it.
What I am most impressed with though is the video. I have shot a few clips at both full HD and at the 100 frames / second custom video mode. For full HD, at maximum zoom, the quality is superb and I now find myself planning more video shooting as a result. The 100 fps mode, for a bit of slow motion at 1280x720 HD quality is a bonus and a lot of fun. I also have a Panasonic HC-X900 camcorder and I honestly think the video quality from the FZ-200 is better, and of course has twice the optical zoom range which is what I was initially after. I'm glad I bought this camera!

Glad you are enjoying the FZ200. I have had mine for just over a year now and its a very good camera that can do most things exceptionally well. Have fun.

Hi,
I have a question. I use to take pictures of birds using my canon 7D+400mm L f/5.6. This combo is quite good in term of image quality.
However, I am having troubles with my backbone and left arm.
For this reason I thought of buying a fz-200, but I read somewhere that the image quality in comparison with dsrl is disappointing. I wonder if on this forum is possible to see a 100% crop or a 3000x4000 image of birds in order to see if I buy a fz200 I'll be satisfied.
Thank you everybody for comments and suggestions.
Piero

Hi,
just got my FZ200 and really struggling with the autofocus. If subject is a bird on a feeder or on a branch (say 20-30ft away) and there is a hedge in the background then the camera focuses on the hedge 9 times out of 10 - regardless of which focus set up I use - any tips welcome! (it feels like I'm going to have to use manual focus via the switch on the lens barrel - not ideal for flightier subjects!)
cheers,
Dave

Hi,
I have a question. I use to take pictures of birds using my canon 7D+400mm L f/5.6. This combo is quite good in term of image quality.
However, I am having troubles with my backbone and left arm.
For this reason I thought of buying a fz-200, but I read somewhere that the image quality in comparison with dsrl is disappointing. I wonder if on this forum is possible to see a 100% crop or a 3000x4000 image of birds in order to see if I buy a fz200 I'll be satisfied.
Thank you everybody for comments and suggestions.
Piero

Hi Piero - just a couple of thoughts - the FZ200 is unlikely to come close to the quality of your Canon - suggest you look at something with a bigger sensor Olympus Stylus 1 or Sony RX10 - less zoom but better image quality.
cheers,
Dave

Hi,
just got my FZ200 and really struggling with the autofocus. If subject is a bird on a feeder or on a branch (say 20-30ft away) and there is a hedge in the background then the camera focuses on the hedge 9 times out of 10 - regardless of which focus set up I use - any tips welcome! (it feels like I'm going to have to use manual focus via the switch on the lens barrel - not ideal for flightier subjects!)
cheers,
Dave

Which settings are you using? AI or something a little more manual? In my case (at the time using a FZ18 which by now is ancient), switching to the very smallest focusing area size helped enormously with that problem. In some other cases it might mean a little more hunting because it is trying to find contranst where none might be found.

At that time, black birds usually were the trickiest to focus on, so it might also depend on the target.

Niels

Is anyone using this camera with a Raynox DCR-250 macro adapter and if so could I see some results please?

Regards,
Andrew.

Which settings are you using? AI or something a little more manual? In my case (at the time using a FZ18 which by now is ancient), switching to the very smallest focusing area size helped enormously with that problem. In some other cases it might mean a little more hunting because it is trying to find contranst where none might be found.

At that time, black birds usually were the trickiest to focus on, so it might also depend on the target.

Niels

Hi Niels - thanks for that. I'm using Aperture Priority (usually set at f4, typically giving me 1/400th sec at 100ASA). My current practice subjects are goldfinches, tits and the occasional spotted woodpecker (on our feeders) - so no real lack of contrast (although the beech hedge background in sunlight probably has quite a bit more). I have tried minimising the focus area in single area mode - may have reduced the problem a bit - although I still feel I'm going to have to use MF, using the autofocus button on the lens barrel with fine tuning via the menu/set ring (as the slide switch on the barrel moves focus very quickly and I'm not that keen on the 'thumb-wheel' control). I'm having these problems at 600mm - so using 400mm might help with AF - but that would be a shame!

I haven't really worked out yet whether AFF mode helps or not.

cheers,

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Niels - thanks for that. I'm using Aperture Priority (usually set at f4, typically giving me 1/400th sec at 100ASA). My current practice subjects are goldfinches, tits and the occasional spotted woodpecker (on our feeders) - so no real lack of contrast (although the beech hedge background in sunlight probably has quite a bit more). I have tried minimising the focus area in single area mode - may have reduced the problem a bit - although I still feel I'm going to have to use MF, using the autofocus button on the lens barrel with fine tuning via the menu/set ring (as the slide switch on the barrel moves focus very quickly and I'm not that keen on the 'thumb-wheel' control). I'm having these problems at 600mm - so using 400mm might help with AF - but that would be a shame!

I haven't really worked out yet whether AFF mode helps or not.

cheers,

Dave

I was going to suggest you try MF and the quick AF button on the lens barrel, but it seems you are already trying that procedure. I find that works pretty well when the camera just won't focus. Another method you can try is this - if the camera is focusing (ie you get the green square) on the wrong thing, provided you have the side lever set to focus, you can re-focus the camera by sliding the side lever up or down. You have to keep the shutter half depressed. Try it, focus on anything, hold the focus and then move the side lever, you will see the focus change. I'm pretty sure you won't get any better results from using any of the different AFF, AFC or AFS settings. One other point, I have turned off quick AF. When this is on, and you point the camera away from your subject, the camera will try to re-focus. It will often happen when you review an image and point the camera down to look at the screen. With quick AF off, the camera holds the same focus it was last set at and if you have managed to get it to focus on those birds, then the next time you point it at them, it will still be focusing on that point.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest you try MF and the quick AF button on the lens barrel, but it seems you are already trying that procedure. I find that works pretty well when the camera just won't focus. Another method you can try is this - if the camera is focusing (ie you get the green square) on the wrong thing, provided you have the side lever set to focus, you can re-focus the camera by sliding the side lever up or down. You have to keep the shutter half depressed. Try it, focus on anything, hold the focus and then move the side lever, you will see the focus change. I'm pretty sure you won't get any better results from using any of the different AFF, AFC or AFS settings. One other point, I have turned off quick AF. When this is on, and you point the camera away from your subject, the camera will try to re-focus. It will often happen when you review an image and point the camera down to look at the screen. With quick AF off, the camera holds the same focus it was last set at and if you have managed to get it to focus on those birds, then the next time you point it at them, it will still be focusing on that point.

Hi - thanks very much for the helpful advice. We're off to Costa Rica next week so I'll have lots of practice! - I think I'll load the most likely settings into the 'Custom' slots and try variations as & when I have the opportunity.

thanks again,

Dave

Hi Dave, I have just come back from Costa Rica this week. I used only the FZ200 and was pretty happy with the results it gave. I was worried about the low light in the rain forest and that certainly slowed things down, to help with this I used a shoulder pod, which is a bit like a rifle butt and I found by pressing that into my shoulder the camera remained very steady. They are smaller and lighter than a monopod, offer much the same stability and are more flexible in allowing you to move the camera more easily.

The Quetzel was taken in the early morning and the light was pretty low, but it still came out ok. Fortunately, it wasn't moving too much. The shutter speed was 1/25 sec and ISO 800. For some reason the camera selected F3.2, if I had used F2.8 the shutter would have been slightly faster. I used the shoulder pod and had a steady shot. Not all your shots will be in low light, there is plenty of sunlight as well.

Have fun.

Attachments

• Quetzel.JPG
    Quetzel.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 290
..............In both cases, I show both the wide view and what the FZ200 can do.

I welcome your comments.

Cheers, Jock Elliott

I agree, the FZ150 and 200 cameras are superb. The major limitation comes with the light conditions. The front lens diameter is definitely limiting the performance under less than optimal conditions. But over all, it's hard to argue when you have such a nice compact camera. No heavy lenses to lug around, no lens changes when you are in front of that great opportunity.

I have strained my FZ150 on my last trip though. Not the lens performance is the problem. But the movable display panel is dangerously lose. I wonder how long it will still work. I must admit that it's my fault though. I often did not even fold it back when I stashed the camera in my backpack.

So should I try to get another FZ150 or maybe upgrade slightly to the 200? Or wait for the next generation, maybe? It would have been due some time ago, though, when judging from previous release schedules.

I agree, the FZ150 and 200 cameras are superb. The major limitation comes with the light conditions. The front lens diameter is definitely limiting the performance under less than optimal conditions. But over all, it's hard to argue when you have such a nice compact camera. No heavy lenses to lug around, no lens changes when you are in front of that great opportunity.

I have strained my FZ150 on my last trip though. Not the lens performance is the problem. But the movable display panel is dangerously lose. I wonder how long it will still work. I must admit that it's my fault though. I often did not even fold it back when I stashed the camera in my backpack.

So should I try to get another FZ150 or maybe upgrade slightly to the 200? Or wait for the next generation, maybe? It would have been due some time ago, though, when judging from previous release schedules.

I have had both the FZ150 and the FZ200. While I don't think there's much between them image quality wise, the FZ200 has it over the FZ150 in a number of other areas. The most obvious one is the viewfinder 1.3 million pixels compared to 200,000. The most important feature is the F2.8 lens. That makes a huge difference in the way you can use the camera, compared to the FZ150. The FZ200 also feels faster, there seems to be less shutter lag. It may be just that the shutter button has less movement in it, but its firmness feels like its faster. There are numerous other improvements, like better custom and function button settings. Much better high speed video and the video doesn't black out when you press the red button. Overall its a much better camera, but you will pick up a FZ150 for a lower price than the FZ200. Whatever you decide you will have a great little camera.

Robert,

I like both the FZ150 and the FZ200 (that's why I kept them both).

If I were in your shoes, I would go for the FZ200. The constant f/2.8 aperture is very nice, and both the EVF and rear panel display are nicer than on the FZ150.

Here in the states, the prices are pretty good, too.

BTW, both these cameras work well with DXO Optics Pro 9 processing software.

I put a protective filter on the lens and a screen protector on the rear and carry it in a padded binocular case when I am not shooting.

I am a fulltime freelance writer and I have actually used these cameras professionally to illustrate my stories. If you follow the link in this post -- http://www.seriouscompacts.com/showthread.php?t=22814&p=151464#post151464 -- you can see some of my stuff.

Cheers, Jock

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back