Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 15:28   #1
rkruz

Outdoor HD WiFi Camera?

Do you any experience using security or other HD cameras for remote viewing and image capture of backyard bird feeder activity? If so can you recommend a camera?

Id like to set up a High Definition camera so I can view a birder feeder remotely.
I would hope to be able to capture reasonable quality stills, get HD video and stream video to a PC. Ive looked at security bullet and PTZ cameras on Amazon in the $200 range. I think would need the following:
High Definition (min 2MP)
WiFi (I could direct wire to ENET if needed)
Zoom (manual is fine. from what Ive seen I can get about 4x zoom)
Control via a windows PC to capture video or stills.
Outdoor
Dont need Pan tilt but it would be a convenient feature.
Price <$300 USD.
Night vision not required

Any advise is appreciated. thank you!
Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 15:47   #2
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Very far from an expert, but take a look at this list to see if any of then go further than what you have looked at already: http://www.nhbs.com/browse/subject/829/trail-cameras

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 18:02   #3
rkruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
Very far from an expert, but take a look at this list to see if any of then go further than what you have looked at already: http://www.nhbs.com/browse/subject/829/trail-cameras

Niels
thanks. Good thought. Trail Cameras hadnt thought of. I would have to locate at or close to the feeder which is doable. After looking at the availability a bit only a few offer WiFi and none had I could find have 1080P video. Best I have so far is a security camera (bullet) with zoom mounted about 30ft away so I can power it from nearby AC outlet for long term viewing. thanks again!
Old Tuesday 10th January 2017, 18:53   #4
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

I work from home, and my office doesn't overlook the feeders. But the feeders are in range of the house wi-fi, so I can point an old mobile phone at them, and watch via skype! There is also an app on android at least called IP webcam, which can turn a spare phone into a remote camera. Had it working, but never found a use for it in the wild. Did dream of sitting in a hide telling people there was a Water Rail under the hide etc!
Old Wednesday 11th January 2017, 21:16   #5
rkruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
I work from home, and my office doesn't overlook the feeders. But the feeders are in range of the house wi-fi, so I can point an old mobile phone at them, and watch via skype! There is also an app on android at least called IP webcam, which can turn a spare phone into a remote camera. Had it working, but never found a use for it in the wild. Did dream of sitting in a hide telling people there was a Water Rail under the hide etc!
Great idea. I have an old LG phone with good camera I can experiment with to understand if it will work like I want it. Thanks again!.
Old Friday 13th January 2017, 18:53   #6
rkruz

The Sunba security camera unit allows one to do a live demo of it. The manufacturer allows you to log into it one of their 1080P cameras, control the PTZ and view the video. 507.sunba.net. Its in China. While it clams 1080P the video seems very poor but maybe thats because of the throughput?
Old Wednesday 15th March 2017, 19:13   #7
BUE78

Maybe you can try using Q Eye APP with your LG phone
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: