• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minolta SLR and Opticron Scope (1 Viewer)

Linwolf

I am trying to use a Minolta 300si 35mm SLR with an Opticron IS60 scope. I have all the necessary bits including telephoto adapter and T mount and have connected up correctly (I think), but when I press the shutter button the flash ready indicator and the flash on indicator both glow red and the picture will not take. What am I doing wrong, Can anyone help please?

I am a complete novice but just wanted to try and get some close up shots of birds on my garden feeders.

Thanks.

Linwolf said:
I am trying to use a Minolta 300si 35mm SLR with an Opticron IS60 scope. I have all the necessary bits including telephoto adapter and T mount and have connected up correctly (I think), but when I press the shutter button the flash ready indicator and the flash on indicator both glow red and the picture will not take. What am I doing wrong, Can anyone help please?

I am a complete novice but just wanted to try and get some close up shots of birds on my garden feeders.

Thanks.
I'm not familiar with that particular camera. You may need to put the camera into full manual exposure control and change the metering mode. Can you disable the flash side of things?
Also switch the camera into manual focus mode.

cheers,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
I'm not familiar with that particular camera. You may need to put the camera into full manual exposure control and change the metering mode. Can you disable the flash side of things?
Also switch the camera into manual focus mode.

cheers,
Andy

I don't know the 300si but I own a 505si super and that has a custom function that allows me to set the shutter to fire even if a focus has not been achieved. I concur with Andy. Set your camera to manual focus as well and disable the built in flash.

Leicaman said:
I don't know the 300si but I own a 505si super and that has a custom function that allows me to set the shutter to fire even if a focus has not been achieved. I concur with Andy. Set your camera to manual focus as well and disable the built in flash.

Thanks guys, I have hit the manual focus button and disabled the flash but it still doesn't take.

Linwolf said:
Thanks guys, I have hit the manual focus button and disabled the flash but it still doesn't take.
After a bit of googling i came upon this question

"I have a Dynax 7xi camera and a superb manual focus mirror lens that will not work on this body. I hear that it is possible to disable the shutter lock to enable this lens or any other MF lens to actually work"

An answer contained
"Minolta 300si 35mm camera = Press and hold FLASH and DRIVE/SELFTIMER buttons and move power switch from LOCK to ON (Off appears in LCD panel) to release the shutter without a functional electronic lens attached. To re-instate the shutter lock, repeat the same procedure"

This may help you, as your scope is being used as a 'dumb' manual focus lens.

cheers
Andy

Andy Bright said:
After a bit of googling i came upon this question

"I have a Dynax 7xi camera and a superb manual focus mirror lens that will not work on this body. I hear that it is possible to disable the shutter lock to enable this lens or any other MF lens to actually work"

An answer contained
"Minolta 300si 35mm camera = Press and hold FLASH and DRIVE/SELFTIMER buttons and move power switch from LOCK to ON (Off appears in LCD panel) to release the shutter without a functional electronic lens attached. To re-instate the shutter lock, repeat the same procedure"

This may help you, as your scope is being used as a 'dumb' manual focus lens.

cheers
Andy

Cheers Andy, that works. Much appreciated, thanks for your time and effort. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back