• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field Notes! (1 Viewer)

RKell1

Landrover, it does exactly what it says on the tin
Hi All
If a thread on this subject has appeared in the past apologies for a repeat ;) .
I was tidying the attic this evening when I came across a box with a few old books in it, most of the stuff was work related but 2 note books and a bundle of cards caught my eye, old field notes from the early 80's. It was great to read back through the notes and look at all the sketch's I'd quickly scribbled down hoping to get a positive id when I got home.

What struck me in looking at the details on some of the drawings was, in capturing the detail, I was forcing myself to really observe the birds, capturing little bits of information that would not only help in a positive id but also help tell similar birds apart in the future. I'd also gone to a bit of effort writing down what the weather was like, date time, wind, tide, what the bird was doing etc on the back of the cards.

I checked my notes that I keep now, always carry a small notebook in the backpack when birding. The difference between then and now? there's only half the detail now compared to my old stuff. In thinking about it, it's not that I don't sit and watch the birds for a while, it's because I watch and not observe, that I'm missing so much. Has my observation bit been taken over by the camera??. Instead of the behaviour/jiz I have maybe a good instant pic or two but the real
information is not there..
No I'm not giving up the camera as I do think it's a great recording tool to have in the field, but I will I think, spend more time 'observing' again from now on.

Another little treasure recovered - My old leather bike jacket and white silk scarf. The Jacket has Triumph in white across the back, still has 100 studs in it with brit bike patches on the arms. This was the reason for stopping birding, but that's another story..;) Wouldn't say no to a Norton now mind you..pity the jacket doesn't fit :eek!:

LOL

What a find ~ I'm afraid I won't be finding any such notes up my loft in the years to come because I don't really take any...

I guess the closest thing I have to your stash of field notes is my photo album with various pics taken on my very first birding adventures.

Matt

What a wonderful find, (the jacket too!) I love a good rummage in the loft!

I think taking detailed notes and also making a sketch are excellent ways to learn. I've only recently got a camera so prior to this if I didn't know what a bird was I would draw a quick pic, (which was of course terrible) and label it with colour etc. It made me really look hard at the bird as I knew if I didn't record every detail I would never find out what it was!

I'm afraid I now rely on the camera to capture everything and then also just remember a few things. Rarely write anything down.

I've recently started sketching birds, just copying pics from books. Which means I look closely and learn the names of various parts too. I know a few but get boggled when people talk of tercials and various coverts. The sketches are terrible, but doing them helps me so who cares!

Hi Ray,

You're so right, it was taking notes that really concentrated my mind on the things that the usual Field Guides don't tell you; and that you probably wouldn't bother to read if they did.

I admit that I don't take as many as I used to unless it's a bird that I'm not completely familiar with but I don't think that's the fault of the camera as I used to take photos (slides) back in much of my 'later' bird learning days (I've had two quite distinct periods of birding with a long gap in between). I think that it's that I simply don't spend the time on what are now 'familiar' birds; although having said that I do do a lot of garden bird-watching and have seen some interesting bits of behaviour that way.

The other thing that I find interesting is to look back on my birding trips with the help of those old notes/lists, very evocative.

Hang on to them Ray, if you're anything like me (birdywise) you'll get great pleasure from them as time goes on.

I'm not with you on motorbikes, never an interest of mine.

Bill

Hi Ray and all,
Yes I'm a great note-taker/doodler too,having kept a logbook since March 1984...... purchased on my first visit to RSPB Leighton Moss.
I have kept it up ever since....with gaps whilst I bought up the boys....and it now very often gets used as a "where were we when we saw that bird?" or "what year did we go there?"
Not only do I doodle birds and places in it I also stick in trail guides from reserves,ferry tickets and B&B business cards of places we've stayed at.....all great reminders,making the whole book a pleasure to look back on!!:t:
Glad you unearthed the leather jacket Ray....I'm with you re motorbikes ....I love 'em!!!!;)
Best wishes,

Great find Ray! Must be kinda interesting. Tell me, has much changed with your sightings between now and back in the 80s? I never take notes out in the field, which is a pity, because it's something I always thought I'd do.

Great find Ray! Must be kinda interesting. Tell me, has much changed with your sightings between now and back in the 80s? .

Hi Mabel
Well for a start most of my time was spent on the Bull or around Howth Head as it was all within walking distance. The management of the now Reserve on the Bull Island was in it's infancy and had only been declared a UNESCO biosphere in 81, the interpretive centre was built around 86 and it was late 80's before it bacame a National Reserve on the statute books. Little Tern were nesting back then, now the Ringed Plover are the more successful nester. I have one personal record for 5 Short Eared Owls on Jan 5th '85 between 9am and 1pm and I can still recall the sight of seeing the first of them perched on an old post on the northern tip of the Island.
It's still a great winter spot for Owls and for that matter, raptors in general. Howth was and still is a crackin spot which has been helped by partial designation as SPA/SPC along with the fact that it was and it remains almost impossible to get permission to develop any land there, mind you it would cost about €10million for an acre.
The building of the interpretive centre has been a great asset in educating people, myself included about the flora and fauna of the Island.
As you know yourself from the Bull Island the sheer numbers of waders/geese from Autumn to Spring is staggering at times and there's always a stray showing up so in that sense it hasn't changed.
I did note back in 2005 the remains of a hide I'd built back then were still there on the North Salt Marsh. I'd taken a load of stumps and floatsome from the water one weekend, dragged it to a dip on the marsh and built a nice little screen for myself so when the tide rose I
was hidden from the birds as they were forced back off of the mudflats. Try that now and a warden would have me by the scruff of the neck..

Apart from that, Well I used to be great at id'ing seabirds but I've forgotten most of my tricks, roll on the Autumn. :t:

Hi Ray,
I read a lot about the importance of field notes and some traditional "Birders" argue skills have diminished by using a camera as a tool for Birdwatching. I agree with this and admire people who learn their skills this way.

Ive got my own way of record keeping, which is a mixture of all sorts of notes, logs, drawings scrap books etc. for all sorts of Birds Wildlife Flora Fauna & Reserves.
I also use an old RSPB book to write dates of sightings and extra info about the Bird. I know it's not the done thing to write in a reference book but I recommend taking the plunge, it's become a great way of record keeping.

You must be having a great trip down memory lane with your find Ray.

What a great find Ray. I must hold my hands up and say I'm more of a 'garden' birder, although after being advised by a certain someone in this forum;) I started carrying a notebook and pen/pencil with me when going out on one of my walks ( although I cant draw for toffee. ) but it really does help because its a certaintly that without it I have forgotten what the birds looks like before I get home.
Glad you managed to unearth your jacket. I kept mine in my cupboard for years (hubby had a Yamaha 650) patches and badges intact, as well as the sleeveless denim one worn over the top. My daughters got quite a shock to see pics of their 'fuddy duddy' mum dressed in leather and torn jeans at Reading festival...lol..but the eldest thinks the jacket is 'the coolest of cool' and wears it regularly.. Come to think of it, I'm sure my Kangol helmet is up in the attic somewhere too! Oooo you just brought back some very happy memories...aaaah ~ those were the days.

Best wishes

Best wishes

Glad you managed to unearth your jacket. I kept mine in my cupboard for years (hubby had a Yamaha 650) patches and badges intact, as well as the sleeveless denim one worn over the top. My daughters got quite a shock to see pics of their 'fuddy duddy' mum dressed in leather and torn jeans at Reading festival...lol..but the eldest thinks the jacket is 'the coolest of cool' and wears it regularly.. Come to think of it, I'm sure my Kangol helmet is up in the attic somewhere too! Oooo you just brought back some very happy memories...aaaah ~ those were the days.

Aaaahhh Yes those were the days...:t: . I think I'll schedule myself for a mid life crisis and go out and buy another old machine, put the brylcreem back in and start playing my Gene Vincent LP's up full volume..That might give my girls a shock or two :-O

Thanks Ray
that was a most enjoyable post, i think it's a little bit late for me to start and take note's but you haveput me to shame so i must nip out for a note book and good logbook.
All the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back