• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bit of advice please - CP4500 (1 Viewer)

Frosty

I have just bought a CP4500 - my first digital camera, and noticed the same re-occuring blue/green spot on all photos. After a little web-surfing I came across the term 'stuck-pixel'. I will be speaking to the retailer and Nikon but would like some expert advice on how many pixels you think are 'stuck'. I looked through some threads on this site and carried out a shot at 1/60 with Lens cap on and saved in TIFF format. I have also attached a crop of what the spot looks like in a photo.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Regards

Gary

Attachments

• DSCN0343 copy.jpg
    DSCN0343 copy.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 255
  • cropDSCN0906.bmp
    16 KB · Views: 204
Yep, it looks stuck to me. Not bad if that's the only one. Same thing happened with my Olympus C2100UZ after a while, seven in all so I sent it off to Olympus just before the warranty ran out and they put it right and gave the camera a geneal overhaul. Just the one I probably wouldn't bother as they're easy to deal with in PS / PSP etc. If it's under guarantee then I think they should repair it free of charge but ring them before you send it off to confirm. If it's not under warrantee then I guess I wouldn't bother as it costs quite a it to have it put right.

Frosty said:
I have just bought a CP4500 - my first digital camera, and noticed the same re-occuring blue/green spot on all photos. After a little web-surfing I came across the term 'stuck-pixel'. I will be speaking to the retailer and Nikon but would like some expert advice on how many pixels you think are 'stuck'.

No expert advice here, but my CP5000 has the same problem. It really irritated me when I first got the camera. One option was to take it back to the dealer and return it for a replacement. That kind of left open the possibility that they would send it in for "repair". My web research lead me to think that they would simply "remap" the bad pixel. In fact, I strongly suspect that all digital cameras have hot pixels that are simply remapped before the camera is shipped.

The other option was to live with the flaw - which is what I chose to do. I guess my years of spotting B&W photos made me a bit tollerant. Any image of importance goes into Photoshop and it is extremely easy to simply clone stamp out the hot pixel. When images are resized for the web, the pixel usually disappears. It is usually very much hidden in about half the images anyway.

I even used the hot pixel to better understand how sharpening affects fine detail.
http://www.jayandwanda.com/digiscope/hotpixelsharp.jpg

Not that the hot pixel is actually 4 hot pixels. I'm assuming that this represents one CMYG square on the CCD.

There is software on the web that I can send to you that will let you remap the bad pixel. Many have used it successfully. I chose not to apply this "hack" to my camera though. Clone stamping is just too easy and much safer.

Had a dead pixel on my 4500 took it back to Nikon HQ as its local they remaped took about a month.Wish i had'nt bothered. Got Another one now, so i'd just forget it an clone it out in photoshop.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back