Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.
Old Tuesday 12th September 2017, 23:00   #26
Nixterdemus

Whatevah bin currently in me hands is the best; hands down.

"Steiner is considered as an Alpha Brand with their rifle scopes (no Joke)"

Any scope that isn't first focal plane/side focus is trash.

SLV 50* 4mm-- HD-60* 4.5mm-- UWA 82* 5.5mm-- SLV 6mm-- Luminos 82* 7mm-- MWA 100* 10mm-- Luminos 15mm--TV Nagler 50* 3mm/180X - 6mm/90X Zoom
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 06:43   #27
RobMorane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixterdemus View Post
Any scope that isn't first focal plane/side focus is trash.
I was about to agree, but thought about it and seriously...
Give a 2nd focal plane to a shooter with an accurate telemeter, and who knows his rifle and his craft and it won't matter much.
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 12:21   #28
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMorane View Post
There's NO Best Binocular in this world, this Planet or even Galaxy .....
Sadly, you are very much mistaken!

It is widely accepted (and now undisputed, well at least after the great InterGalactic flame wars of 2345) that the best binoculars in the Galaxy are the ZORK Thagmeister eV8888 Eyeballizers !!!

Fortuitously these are not only the best, but also the luckiest due to their 8.88x Area 51 magnification factor which is highly sought after by Chinese space travellers.

Thanks to their Alienware Adaptive Technology and special Anti-Troll coatings they are also able to instantaneously morph to a superior specification and performance in response to any criticism or claims by alternate model fan boi's .......

Let's have no further extraneous and redundant conversation on the matter!!

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 15:24   #29
Sancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post

It is widely accepted (and now undisputed, well at least after the great InterGalactic flame wars of 2345) that the best binoculars in the Galaxy are the ZORK Thagmeister eV8888 Eyeballizers !!!

Fortuitously these are not only the best, but also the luckiest due to their 8.88x Area 51 magnification factor which is highly sought after by Chinese space travellers.

Thanks to their Alienware Adaptive Technology and special Anti-Troll coatings they are also able to instantaneously morph to a superior specification and performance in response to any criticism or claims by alternate model fan boi's .......

Chosun
! Nice one Chosun.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 15:47   #30
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore Girl View Post
I remember some years back reading reviews of Zeiss FL , as I was interested in possibly buying the 8x32 FL. The FL is considered an all time great and a venerated classic now. I read lots of very positive online reviews, allbinos type pro reviews etc.

Then I looked at old user reviews on birdforum and I saw complaints of terrible astigmatism, bendy lines on the periphery. I looked through the 8x32 outside of the nature store a few years ago. If those bendy lines were present I didn't see them when looking for birds in the trees.
Very telling remarks - but I'm not quite sure whether you meant to say Birdforum readers are possessed of powers of observation exceeding those of the average reviewer, including "pro" reviewers, or whether they are just seeing things!
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 15:48   #31
Loud Green Man

If Schmidt & Bender made binoculers I'd be very surprised if they didn't knock the current top three Alphas into 2nd, 3rd and 4th place and claim the crown.

They certainly have demonstrable expertise in manufacturing rugged and reliable moving parts in their superb optics so feel sure the focusing wheel issues we continue to see in top brands would be a challenge they're more than capable of overcoming.

LGM
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 16:03   #32
Binastro

What my Schmidt & Bender 15-60x60 scope is notable for is internal fungus.

One day I'll try to clean it.

The objective seems to have a rather curved surface.

At least it cost little.

P.S.
Just spent half an hour cleaning the Schmidt & Bender and the fungus has gone. The fungus did not etch the inner surface of the objective.
The isopropyl alcohol fumes are a bit strong. I should have opened the window.
Cleaned the outer optical surfaces with Baader optical wonder fluid.

Need to clean up the rubber armour edges a bit still.

The shop did not know what the scope was so charged very little as an unknown item.

P.P.S.
As the tubes are collapsed the air seems to escape from the tripod holes with a hissing sound. 1/4 inch and 3/8inch.
Don't know what happens if the scope is attached to a tripod when closing the tubes.

Last edited by Binastro : Wednesday 13th September 2017 at 19:54.
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 16:16   #33
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
Very telling remarks - but I'm not quite sure whether you meant to say Birdforum readers are possessed of powers of observation exceeding those of the average reviewer, including "pro" reviewers, or whether they are just seeing things!
I think it's a good mix of both scenarios here in the bino forum

I like reading the reviews here, but I take them all with a grain of salt and make up my own mind.
If I read this forum as gospel I wouldn't have a 7x or even an Ultravid. They're just "so yesterday"

BF Supporter 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 16:19   #34
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:

Chosun

Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 17:03   #35
WJC

Quote:
Hey, I think those posts are great! As long as adults see things they can't possibly see, are willing to spend time performing meaningless tests, or refuse to understand that a field of 1,000 brands and models come from only a hand full of factories, my book will continue to rack up sales.

Bill
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 17:33   #36
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
Hey, I think those posts are great! As long as adults see things they can't possibly see, are willing to spend time performing meaningless tests, or refuse to understand that a field of 1,000 brands and models come from only a hand full of factories, my book will continue to rack up sales.

Bill
I'll probably buy the "Cook Book" eventually. I hope I understand most of it

Looks like you have one stellar review so far on Amazon by a BF member

Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 17:38   #37
WJC

Quote:
I'll probably buy the "Cook Book" eventually. I hope I understand most of it

Looks like you have one stellar review so far on Amazon by a BF member
You will definitely understand it. It was written for the non-opto-geek. I had better check out that review when I get a moment.

Bill
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 17:45   #38
Gilmore Girl
Beth

Quote:
You will definitely understand it. It was written for the non-opto-geek. I had better check out that review when I get a moment.

Bill
Ok thanks, I just ordered it. I used the "look inside" feature on Amazon and I like what I see in the contents table.

Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 18:18   #39
WJC

Quote:
Ok thanks, I just ordered it. I used the "look inside" feature on Amazon and I like what I see in the contents table.
I just used that feature, too. Pretty cool. I just wish they would place the book in other categories, including some Amazon doesn’t have.

Bill
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 19:19   #40
cycleguy

In this galaxy it has not yet been decided and is being hashed out right here on BirdForum. In all other galaxies it is Leica!

Hope this helps....

CG
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 19:59   #41
Loud Green Man

May I assume anything goes in this thread??

LGM
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 20:23   #42
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
In this galaxy it has not yet been decided and is being hashed out right here on BirdForum. In all other galaxies it is Leica!

Hope this helps....

CG

"... Recently, I saw a post in which an observer talked about the new binocular he had just purchased as having “super light grasp” and “incredibly sharp images.” In the course of the post this fellow shared that this was his first binocular. Thus, while both comments may have been true, one has to wonder exactly what this exuberant new observer was using as a point of reference."

Just a thought,

Bill
Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 05:01   #43
wdc

Quote:
"... Recently, I saw a post in which an observer talked about the new binocular he had just purchased as having “super light grasp” and “incredibly sharp images.” In the course of the post this fellow shared that this was his first binocular. Thus, while both comments may have been true, one has to wonder exactly what this exuberant new observer was using as a point of reference."

Just a thought,

Bill
His naked eyes, perhaps? 😊
Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 07:35   #44
Gijs van Ginkel

Chosun, post 28,
I like your sense of humor, please continue to do so it makes life so much more pleasant.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 10:24   #45
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud Green Man View Post
...so feel sure the focusing wheel issues we continue to see in top brands would be a challenge they're more than capable of overcoming.

LGM
At the risk of swerving wildly off what was clearly intended to be a light-hearted thread, I have to admit to being surprised that even top manufacturers seem to have had difficulties in this department, given that internal focusers have been incorporated into binoculars for decades. Can someone knowledgeable on this thread provide some insight as to the challenges in designing and manufacturing a trouble-free focus mechanism (leaving aside issues of "feel")? I personally have not (yet) had real issues in this department, but it seems clear that others have - and I mean genuine issues like the Noctivid being discussed in the Leica thread rather than whether a focuser feels rough or has more resistance in one direction than another.

NB. I've hunted around here and Cloudynights for "super light grasp" but can't seem to find the post WJC mentions... a shame as I'd have enjoyed reading it in full.

Last edited by Patudo : Thursday 14th September 2017 at 10:40.
Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 11:45   #46
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
At the risk of swerving wildly off what was clearly intended to be a light-hearted thread, I have to admit to being surprised that even top manufacturers seem to have had difficulties in this department, given that internal focusers have been incorporated into binoculars for decades. Can someone knowledgeable on this thread provide some insight as to the challenges in designing and manufacturing a trouble-free focus mechanism (leaving aside issues of "feel")? I personally have not (yet) had real issues in this department, but it seems clear that others have - and I mean genuine issues like the Noctivid being discussed in the Leica thread rather than whether a focuser feels rough or has more resistance in one direction than another.

NB. I've hunted around here and Cloudynights for "super light grasp" but can't seem to find the post WJC mentions... a shame as I'd have enjoyed reading it in full.
Hi Patudo:

Your question has two parts:

1) As related to “Murphy’s Law” and Engineering 101, the more complex the mechanism, the more lost motion—albeit tiny—and more places for errors to creep in, especially amid thumps and bumps. Today, we have some internally focused binos that have some pretty sophisticated focus mechanisms. Whether they are as efficient as photos of their cutaways would indicate is up to the user. By some indicators, they are not.

Before getting my SE, my main birding bino was the Swift Audubon. I found the elongated focus knob on some of the latter editions to have inordinate lost motion. This could be frustrating to maddening. On the less sophisticated versions of the same bino, the action was firm and smooth.

2) That one is harder. I am confident the post was made in the last year and a half. I just don’t recall the forum. Although I have been deep sixed by Cloudy Nights for a long time, until the last week or so, I have been able to at least READ was was happening there. But, I was able to communicate with this fellow and, as a new member, I wouldn’t have had his email address. Maybe it was SWFA’s Optics Talk. I just can remember. On your behalf, I just visited their site but can’t see how to look things up. Maybe NDfarmer or Edj can help.

Bill

Last edited by WJC : Thursday 14th September 2017 at 11:49.
Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 11:55   #47
Loud Green Man

This is the best description I've seen for what was my experience of a maddening 10-15X50 that shall remain nameless:

"Inordinate lost motion"

LGM
Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 12:28   #48
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum

Quote:

LGM
No you may not

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 14:43   #49
Troubador

Quote:

Chosun
Zarquon's Knees CJ!

You are so behind the times. Thagmeister has already replaced the eV8888 via a wormhole from the future with the DOJ Heisenberger. DOJ stands for Day of Judgement and the unsettling clarity of vision that comes to us all on that day, but the biggest feature is its Heisenberg Uncertain Magnification Generator. The HUMG (which oddly enough is pronounced 'widget' by the Thagmeisters) endows this device with a series of magnifications from zero all the way to just short of infinity all at the same time, and only adopts the magnification of your choice at the instant you look through it and it scans your underlying brain emissions thus revealing your preference.

Those without brain emissions, or who dither over what magnification they prefer, need not bother saving up for this staggering new instrument as it won't work for them. I say staggering because it weighs around 50kg (depending on the gravitational field of your planet) and is enough to give any sentient species the 'staggers'.

The only problem with this epoch-defining bino is that the focus is harder to move in one direction than the other and squeaks a bit.

Still you can't have everything.

Thank you and good night.

Lee
Old Thursday 14th September 2017, 14:49   #50
Troubador

Quote:

LGM
LGM, no, you are thinking of the Ruffled Feathers section. Go to Forums and then all the way down the page.

Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: