• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When do Robins Finish Nesting? (1 Viewer)

Platty

Hi All,

Could someone give advice to a non-ornithologist please?

We have a pair of Robins netsing (somewhere) in the mass of Ivy currently endangering the structural integrity of an old out-building at the bottom of our garden.

I reallly need to sort it out this year as the weight of vegetation is in danger of collapsing the old wall, but I don't really want to just chop away their cover.

I can't tell precisely where the pair are living and don't want to poke about too much. Can anyone give me any idea how long I should wait before its safe for a bit of de-forestation?

Thanks very much.

:h?:

Robins (and other species) could nest at any time but a safe general rule would perhaps be between March and August - outside of those months you should be safe.

Before cutting down you should have a poke around though - that would be less damaging than deforestation. Also with Ivy you could cut the plant first were it comes out of the soil, this would cause it to die off but leave the cover. Depending on the weight of the vegetation though this might not be suitable for your wall!

Thanks very much Ken, I thought it might be about that long.

I had thought about trying to kill off the roots as well but (as is usually the case with Ivy), its got it's roots down all over the shop, including several places that aren't my land (of course). Never mind, I'll plan for August!

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back