• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on Binocs (1 Viewer)

Dianne

Opion on Binocs

Hi All,

I am new here, and this is my first post....so be gentle :)

I am looking to buy new binocs and have been considering the Swift Audubon Porro Prisms 8.5x44 ED.

Anyone have any opinions on these binocs? Or any opinions on any other brands at this price (my budget allows between $300-$450)?

Also, any opinions on roof versus porro style binocs?

Thanks in advance.....

Last edited:
hello

HEY DIANNE,

Welcome to the forums, I wish i could answer your question:eat:
but im no expert!! its the middle of the night here ,but im sure youll get sound advise from a member soon.

regards
steve

Welcome Dianne.

I've tried the Swift Audobon 8.5x42 EDs and there're very good!
Because they are porro prism they are slightly bulkier (wider) than roofs but you need to try them and see if they feel comfortable in your hands.
This pair and also Nikon 8x32SE and 8x42SE are reckoned to be the equal of many roof prisms costing much more.
The Nikons are slightly more expensive and also not fully waterproof but worth looking at.
Take a look at www.betterviewdesired.com where there is plenty of info on binos including write ups on many models including the Audobons (non ED version I think) which will be of interest to you. The ED's should out-perform the non-ED version.
Picking a pair of bins is a very personal thing as what suits one person may not suit you, so you need to try all the ones you're interested in.
Good luck and let us know the outcome.

paj

Paj,
Since you were nice enough to respond and give your opinion (which I really appreciated) I thought I would let you know what I decided.

I went a little crazy! Tried out a friend's binocs yesterday and I was hooked...
I ordered the Swarovski EL 8.5x42....
(I guess I'm sharing the cat's food for a month!)

Thanks again...

Hi Dianne

I'm sure you'll be very pleased with your 8.5 EL's as they are great binoculars.
I didn't mention those because they were much dearer than the price range you were looking at. But what the hell, you only live once, so spoil yourself!
By the way, in the previous posting I mentioned Nikon 8x42 SE, that should have read 10x42 SE, apologies.

paj

Dianne

What binoculars you chose is always down to personal preference but I have to admit that I am a Swarovski fan when it comes to bins. I bought my 8x30 SLC's about 4 years ago and it was the best buy I could have made. I would recommend them to anyone. Swarovski have bettered these models so I can only wonder just how good their later models are.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back